Coral Dipping

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Another question as far as the frag plugs go.... I thought with frags they needed to be on plugs... is this not the case? If so, what’s the safest way to remove them without damaging? And are there any benefits to keeping them on the plugs? I would much rather have them glued right to the rock instead of seeing all those plugs.

remember you may need to move the coral to a higher/lower area of the tank if it isn’t happy where you have placed it, so maybe best not glue it in place straight away, wait until you see it is happy.

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended dipping procedure:

1. Carefully inspect frag/coral for eggs. Use magnifying lens to look close. No dip kills eggs.

2. If the frag/coral is on a plug other than plastic, or on a rock, remove from plug/rock.

3. Dip in whatever dip you like. I like Bayer, 1 ml per 100 mls tank water, for about 15 minutes.

4. This is the important part....rinse in tank water that has been removed from your tank...in a small cup, for 10 minutes or so. Discard this rinse water....throw it away. Repeat this rinse step. Regardless of the dip you use, you don't want to get any dip into your DT.

5. If you wish, re-attach to a new plug or glue directly to rock. Ideally put into a QT / holding tank to view for 2 weeks to make sure there is nothing on the frag.

Have a 14 gallon peninsula build. Planning on setting up a 5.5 gallon QT with 50% weekly WC. Kessil A80, with HOB filter (floss). Plan to not go crazy.

Going to inspect daily, with loupes, for 2 weeks. Hope to prevent most nuisances (Bryopsis, bubble algae, aiptasia)

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The other issue with frag plugs (that are not plastic) is that they absorb the dip....and then slowly release back into your DT. So remove from the plug is the ideal way to minimize dip solution getting into your DT. To remove, typically a sharp knife will break the frag off the plug. Frag glue (superglue...aka cyanoacrylate) has very poor shear strength and therefore break off easily.
I’d never thought of the solution being released into the tank from the plug. Been doing this almost two years and never thought of that, how much of an issue do you think that is? Does it depend on the dip, for example Polyplab Reef Primer is supposed to be easier on coral than some other dips.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back