Coral Dying or Growing?

JasonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure the name of this coral but I had this before and eventually I rememebered it turned all white and pretty much rotted away.

Last night I turned my flashlight on after dark in the tank and noticed an emerald crab hanging on to this particular coral. I pushed him off and he came back later.

Does it look like the coral is being eaten by crabs or growing where you see the white areas? It was not like this when I bought it.

Crab1.jpg

Coral1.jpg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not sure the name of this coral but I had this before and eventually I rememebered it turned all white and pretty much rotted away.

Last night I turned my flashlight on after dark in the tank and noticed an emerald crab hanging on to this particular coral. I pushed him off and he came back later.

Does it look like the coral is being eaten by crabs or growing where you see the white areas? It was not like this when I bought it.

Crab1.jpg

Coral1.jpg

It doesn’t look great but not dead. He is likely eating the algae that starts to grow on the dead spots.

OP
OP
JasonV

JasonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what I can do? Should I get rid of the crab or can I feed that coral something else? I’m feeding it reef roids. Thank you.
It doesn’t look great but not dead. He is likely eating the algae that starts to grow on the dead spots.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas what I can do? Should I get rid of the crab or can I feed that coral something else? I’m feeding it reef roids. Thank you.

The crab isn’t really the problem.

How do the rest of your corals look?

OP
OP
JasonV

JasonV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The crab isn’t really the problem.

How do the rest of your corals look?
Everything else looks great. I’ll get my water tested again tomorrow and see if they notice anything. The fact that this is the second one that appears to be dying off worries me but everything else has lived now for 4-5 months. Just the one coral of the same type died months back. Thank you.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the emerald before it to late.Yes they a good cleaners,but Some eventually go rogue and decide to sample your coral or just pick away at it for no apparent reason. Your [emoji102] are not fooling you. The Emerald could be playing a factor.

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Burnt tips on SPS could be lighting or Alk related. Any other SPS in the tank? What’s your tank parameters? I agree that your crab is probably eating dead or dying tissue, and not the cause of the problem.

Back