Coral dying...

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of my corals look like ****. Most recently my striptease acro has some tissue at the base that's bleaching/dying. Any steps I can take to save the rest of the piece? I'm about to test water parameters now, just didn't know if there's something I should do in the mean time.

Most recent losses were both zoas, which was a little surprising and very disappointing as one of them was the WWC AOI zoas.

After I test parameters I'll update the post as I know that's important to give advice. I'm just wondering if anything can be done so this acro doesn't melt away.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of my corals look like ****. Most recently my striptease acro has some tissue at the base that's bleaching/dying. Any steps I can take to save the rest of the piece? I'm about to test water parameters now, just didn't know if there's something I should do in the mean time.

Most recent losses were both zoas, which was a little surprising and very disappointing as one of them was the WWC AOI zoas.

After I test parameters I'll update the post as I know that's important to give advice. I'm just wondering if anything can be done so this acro doesn't melt away.

Yes pramameters would be nice. Sounds like RTN.

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a pic of the tissue damage. Tank has been up around 2 years. It's a 40 gallon IM Nuvo with a single clown and ~50-60 corals. It's been on an auto water change for a few months, changing out about a gallon a day. Today I slowed down the frequency to 1/2 gallon per day, thinking the zoas may have wanted the water to be a little dirtier - it hasn't made an impact on anything so far.

The parameters so far are:

8.16 pH
76.7 degrees
1.026 sg
0.00 phosphates
0.00 nitrates
0.00 ammonia
0.00 nitrite

I'm continuing tests, will have alk/calc/dkh shortly.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall it looks pretty good.

Hard to say what's causing it at this point as it looks like it's effected at the incrusting area.

Side note, as you may already know, having nutrients at 0 is undesirable.

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST REALIZED!! I changed to red sea pro which has incredibly high alk. I'm making a fresh batch of different salt and I'll do a 25-50% water change over the next 24 hours.

I know 0 isn't great, which is why I've slowed the water changes. I was having a bit of an algae problem before, so I wanted to nip that ASAP. It's all cleaned up, so I'll try for a better cycle of changes that actually leave some nutrients in the water.

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH rarely, because I haven't made any changes in so long. I just tested and it's over 14... so I'm gonna remedy that ASAP. There's a small amount of the red sea pro left, but I'm adding 40 gallons on top of the 10 so hopefully that'll average out the alk.

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan to fix... I had ~10-15 gallons of red sea high alk mixed... I just added 35-40 gallons of water and I'm mixing in a new salt that's got 10 alk.

Once it's mixed, I'm going to set hourly 1/2 gallon water changes for the rest of the day.

Thoughts?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though 14 dkh is extreme, your corals would exhibit bleaching/tip burn with N03 and P04 at 0. Doesn't look that way.

Retest your dkh. What's the expiration date in the dkh kit?

From the picture it looks like something irritated that area.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back