Coral eating snail identification, please!

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 of these snails marketed as cerith snails. I've never owned ceriths or even seen them in person so I believed the sales person, stupidly. I've since found them constantly attached to my acan frags on the sand and it appears they're eating the flesh/skeletal structure on them... can anyone tell me what they think these are and should I take them back or feed them something special? They really dont move, like at all, besides to scoot over to my acans. Definitely dont bury themselves like ive read ceriths do. Thanks for the help!

20230323_075009.jpg 20230323_075230.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the snail, but they may eat dying flesh.
Is this how you purchased the acan?

In other words, is the snail actually eating healthy flesh killing it or is that acan dying and the snail is eating that.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm ceriths dont bury themselves, nassarius do. Ceriths eat algae, and if that frag had algae growing on the skeleton, its going to eat that algae.

Either way, that acan doesnt look happy, probably from the two vermetid snails we see on its skeleton. Youll wanna remove those before they explode in population in your tank.

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the snail, but they may eat dying flesh.
Is this how you purchased the acan?

In other words, is the snail actually eating healthy flesh killing it or is that acan dying and the snail is eating that.
I haven't had this acan but maybe a week or 2 and it's been quite unhappy the whole time... not really getting full poly extension so you may be onto something

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm ceriths dont bury themselves, nassarius do. Ceriths eat algae, and if that frag had algae growing on the skeleton, its going to eat that algae.

Either way, that acan doesnt look happy, probably from the two vermetid snails we see on its skeleton. Youll wanna remove those before they explode in population in your tank.
Thank you!!! I hadn't noticed that! I just cut/scrapped it off completely with scissors... should that keep it from coming back and spreading?

OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is why I was under the belief that they burrow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230323_085232_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323_085232_Google.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
A

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I was going to say, you beat me to it. Ceriths do not bury, the google thing you just sent is clearly a picture of a nassarius snail.
Gotcha... I've only been reefing for about 4-5 months so I'm not familiar with all the critters involved... I just needed something to aerate my sand bed. I'll see if they'll let me exchange for some nassarius snails. Thanks everyone!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha... I've only been reefing for about 4-5 months so I'm not familiar with all the critters involved... I just needed something to aerate my sand bed. I'll see if they'll let me exchange for some nassarius snails. Thanks everyone!
Conch are nice too for sandbed. 1 per 4 sqft, depending on how much rock is in your sand.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Um, Ceriths definitely bury themselves!

FrostyWriter021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sand shifting star fish he was 20 dollars and does a good job shifting the sand in my 13 gallon

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back