Coral Feeding Question

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing Peeps,

Is it really necessary that we need to feed corals? (reef roids, RS AB+, so on....)

Or is it ok to not feed if you have fish and the fish food alone feeds the coral?

Reason for my question is once I started feeding reef roids, AB+....Dino's exploded. And before the question is asked, my nitrates and phosphates were not 0. (My opinion and just my opinion only is Dino's are not triggered by 0 N & P)

Thoughts?

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis and a couple others, probably best to feed. Otherwise its not totally necessary but can help growth.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis and a couple others, probably best to feed. Otherwise its not totally necessary but can help growth.
I do have a Goni -- what do you feed yours? I fear using coral food because a Dino explosion will happen

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Goni -- what do you feed yours? I fear using coral food because of a Dino explosion will happen
Feed it what ever you want but use a pipette instead of broad cast feeding your tank.. we don’t need to feed corals anything really, fish poop is the best you’re gonna get! Nps are non photosynthetic corals. They don’t use light as an energy source so they need food.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Goni -- what do you feed yours? I fear using coral food because a Dino explosion will happen
I feed reef roids. You might want to get past the dino phase because it can boost them. I ending up using silicates to get past dinos and still fed during that time

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non Photo Synthetic - filter feeders like sun corals, whips, most gorgonians chili corals, etc. There are many of these. The largest issue with keeping them is that they need a LOT of food, but also good water quality, in most cases.

Light feed your coral the most and is the only for-sure source of getting carbon/sugars/energy to your coral. You need to feed nothing else. It amazes me that people want to drop in all kinds of particle food yet run limited spectrum and "just enough" lighting. Light is one of the few things that if you give a coral more, it can do more with it - this is not true of building blocks which cannot do anything with excess.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids is notorious for causing nutrient spikes and the things that come with it.

Try benepets benereef food instead. It’s great for all corals

Ab+ I’ve used on and off many times over the years, I only saw a benefit when I was keeping a sps reef.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(My opinion and just my opinion only is Dino's are not triggered by 0 N & P)

Thoughts?

This is totally accurate, but the masses of parrots on the internet post it a lot. Many have experienced dinos at the same time that they had lower N and P levels but don't understand that they do not cause one and another.

When you introduce "coral foods" in your tank, you are going to give building blocks and maybe some energy to EVERYTHING. Most of the things in your tank are probably better at using these building blocks and energy than the corals. High tide can lift all ships, as they say.

Fish waste is very likely a better source to feed your corals, so make your fish happier and just feed them more. In the same vein as above, the extra fish waste will feed other things too and can also raise your residual waste product levels like no3 and po4 too high, so there is no free pass to just feed your fish all that you want either without upping the export.

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally accurate, but the masses of parrots on the internet post it a lot. Many have experienced dinos at the same time that they had lower N and P levels but don't understand that they do not cause one and another.

When you introduce "coral foods" in your tank, you are going to give building blocks and maybe some energy to EVERYTHING. Most of the things in your tank are probably better at using these building blocks and energy than the corals. High tide can lift all ships, as they say.

Fish waste is very likely a better source to feed your corals, so make your fish happier and just feed them more. In the same vein as above, the extra fish waste will feed other things too and can also raise your residual waste product levels like no3 and po4 too high, so there is no free pass to just feed your fish all that you want either without upping
I need to find that balance in my tank of directly feeding coral but keeping Dino’s at a minimum. I’ve removed 99% of my sand and that has helped out considerably but the dang Dino still is dominant is small areas. Silicate dosing does not help me. Keeping my N & P higher does nothing. Dinos are the corona virus of the fish tank.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dinos are there because nothing else was on that real estate and they moved in. That is all. Every tank has dinos. In tanks that are established, they cannot gain foothold - even film bacteria and algae are enough.

Some strains can be killed by high waste product levels, but not all no3 into the 30s can do this. It is a dangerous game.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding corals directly can be problematic as there can be huge differences between species not only for type and quantity but there can even be a "goldilocks" response where too little and too much has a negative effect. To reiterate the above fish poop is a good food source for corals as ammonia and urea are preffered forms of nitrogen to nitrates and also has carbonates the corals use. Here's a data bomb if yo want to dig into the subject more.

Context Dependant Effects of Nutrient Loading

Fig 3 from this paper
Context‐dependent effects of nutrient loading on the coral–algal mutualism(1).png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back