For those he feed exclusively froze all or part of the time; how many cubes do you feed per 20 gallons of water?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a flawed question, but I am still interested in the answer. All things being equal (which they aren't haha) how many cubes of frozen food do you feed per 20 gallons of system volume in a day? Do you feed whole cubes or thaw and leave out the juices?

I feed 1.666 cubes per 20 gallons of system volume daily (minus some of the juices).

Keep in mind this ^^^ this is a new feeding regiment, trying to boost my nutrients above 0 and 0 haha

Last edited:

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it depends more on the fish than the gallons. I have 4 (clown, cardinal, chromis and a bristletooth tang in 40 gallons. I feed 1/2 cube daily (plus 2 x 4 sheet nori for the tang every other day). Once a week I may skip a day or just substitute a few dry pellets.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a flawed question, but I am still interested in the answer. All things being equal (which they aren't haha) how many cubes of frozen food do you feed per 20 gallons of system volume in a day?

I feed 1.666 cubes per 20 gallons of system volume daily.
1.666 cubes is a very precise amount :)

What are you feeding that amount of food to? I have six Chromis that receive that much per day.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think it depends more on the fish than the gallons. I have 4 (clown, cardinal, chromis and a bristletooth tang in 40 gallons. I feed 1/2 cube daily (plus 2 x 4 sheet nori for the tang every other day). Once a week I may skip a day or just substitute a few dry pellets.
I agree, but given that most of us try to stock "appropriately", and most probably don't have super specialized stocking, I think it would still give a general idea. . . and at the very least I am curious haha

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1.666 cubes is a very precise amount :)

What are you feeding that amount of food to? I have six Chromis that receive that much per day.
5 cubes and 60 gallons of water (3 tanks). I should have added (I edited the OP) I thaw them and don't add all the juices. I broadcast all the tanks with the filtration off for about 15 minutes in hopes my corals get to eat.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, but given that most of us try to stock "appropriately", and most probably don't have super specialized stocking, I think it would still give a general idea. . . and at the very least I am curious haha
I think you're being overly optimistic with everyone's understanding of "appropriately". :) I consider my tank under-stocked (which is how I like to run them). But given that - I'm doing 1/4 cube/day per 20 gallons

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're being overly optimistic with everyone's understanding of "appropriately". :) I consider my tank under-stocked (which is how I like to run them). But given that - I'm doing 1/4 cube/day per 20 gallons
Yeah I do agree that stocking is a much larger/more important factor in feeding (though there is probably something to be said about the tanks ability to process nutrients/waste and nutrient export systems with or without fish). . . but trying to figure out cubes per X stocking with a ton of posts (assuming others reply haha) sounds like a pain haha

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the cube as a unit of measurement for feeding. Some cubes are 90% moisture so not much actual food. Flats of PE mysis and LRS and rods always have more actual food. I just break chunks off, thaw and dump it in and let it blow around. If I thaw too much I just put it in the fridge and feed it later.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I do agree that stocking is a much larger/more important factor in feeding (though there is probably something to be said about the tanks ability to process nutrients/waste and nutrient export systems with or without fish). . . but trying to figure out cubes per X stocking with a ton of posts (assuming others reply haha) sounds like a pain haha
I get it. No one wants to put thumb rules anymore because they're easy to read more into them than intended. I used to be a heavier feeder but saw some very experienced reefers only feeding every other day with what I'd consider pretty thin amount but their fish looked very healthy and long lived. Big benefits in nutrient management naturally and stability. But I do hear other experienced reefers say they love fat fish and in nature they eat constantly so they feed several times a day. I'm not sure nature is a good rule in a tank with limited motion/room. Fish don't look fat in those tanks honestly but they usually require quite the nutrient export system. Really hard to know what's best for the fish when appearances (including activity) are the same. So I go fairly light and everything seems healthy and active and I manage export with just an algae scrubber (skimmer was overkill).

I also realize the some fish (which I don't have) do need to feed several times a day to be healthy.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I alternate between flake and frozen in a mollies only 10g. 1 cube halved morning then other half at night. So 2 for a 20? Well, they're only get breakfast now.. so, 1 for a 20.

When I had the 75g fowlr, 2 morning (flake auto feeder during day), 2 at night. 75/4=18.75..

so, 1 for 20.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no set amount of food i feed. In the two nanos i have i feed literally a pinch of frozen to each (3 small fish in each if them). Now in my big tank i give them several huge pinches (using huge tweezers) of frozen 2x a day and pellets for 17 fish.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 56 gallon/30 gallon sump tank system with 2 mask gobies, 1 neon cleaner goby, 1 ywg, 1 Citron goby, 2 clownfish, 1 midas blenny, 1 royal gramma, 1 coral beauty angel and1 tomini tang. I have an auto flake/pellets feeder that dispenses 1 feeding every day but I also feed 1 frozen cube every day (a variety of foods, both veggie and meat). The nutrients help feed the macroalgae in the tank as well as the coral.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back