How many times a day do you feed your anthias?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m loving my two new squareback anthias and I’m wondering for those of you who have anthias…how many times a day do you feed them and what do you feed them? Do you have an automatic feeder? Do any of you just feed once a day? I plan to feed them twice manually and need to set up the feeder but so far there’s been no interest in the pellets so I may just end up feeding twice to three times a day frozen.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autofeeder three times pr. day (9 am, 1 pm, 7 pm) as well as 2 x frozen.

Fairly heavy stocked tank, so it's not just for them.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have any in my reef, but I'm still feeding the rest of the fish in the tank in the same manner that was set up for the anthias when I had them. Small amounts of freeze dried mixture every thirty minutes throughout the day.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 x Biota Pink Square Anthias. I feed a mix of pellet hourly between 0830 and 1830. Small portions, single drum rotation, but hourly. Dry is a blend of TDO x-small, small, medium, PE mysis, and a couple different Hikari.

I feed a mix of frozen twice a day. I rotate between LRS Reef, LRS Nano, LRS Fish, PE Mysis, PE Calanus, Brine, Oyster Eggs, Prime Reef, and an angel blend.

Most of my fish are captive bred/raised so I feed often as they grow. Feeding smaller portions throughout the day means everyone will pretty much get something to eat. Flow changes, fish have different speeds at which they swim, and will be in different places even though they get the pattern down. This way I know they are getting something. Frozen I will watch a bit more and observe who eats what so I get to know their favorite.

The main take away for me is that I want everyone to eat. If they are small and growing then I treat them like a baby and feed more frequently. Eating fish, healthy fish, pooping fish, corals get fed among other things. Works for me.

mdanchqst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 bimac anthias and I feed them every 90 minutes. starting at 9am and ending at 7pm. I have plank autofeeders, which are expensive but amazing and super accurate with feeding quantities. I'm also dosing liquid fridge food 3x per day with a neptune dos. Anthias in the wild eat all day long. If you are only feeding once a day, you really need an established pod population.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back