Feeding

Trueflo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I had a quick question on what do you guys consider heavy feeding? I feed about A Cube worth of mysis but I use the flat package package Per day and about half a cube worth of rod's reef Per day reef roids.
Every third day or so. Please let me know your opinions or if you have an example. Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Trueflo

Trueflo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello. I had a quick question on what do you guys consider heavy feeding? I feed about A Cube worth of mysis but I use the flat package package Per day and about half a cube worth of rod's reef Per day reef roids.
Every third day or so. Please let me know your opinions or if you have an example. Thank you in advance.
Feed what they consume in a couple of minutes. Its easier to add food than to remove it

OP
OP
Trueflo

Trueflo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre saying you use a whole sheet of mysis on the tank in a day?
No LOL not a whole sheet. I am just breaking off and feeding. What would amount to approximately half a cube to a full cube. When I hear people say they feed heavy. I'm trying to figure out what that means. Especially as far as nitrate and Phosphate control I'm trying to figure out if I need to feed a little more to get my Nitrates up

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No LOL not a whole sheet. I am just breaking off and feeding. What would amount to approximately half a cube to a full cube. When I hear people say they feed heavy. I'm trying to figure out what that means. Especially as far as nitrate and Phosphate control I'm trying to figure out if I need to feed a little more to get my Nitrates up
Oh just wanted to make sure, I was like whaaa. But I would follow what vetteguy said earlier

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
50 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. Pair of clowns. A starry blenny. And a green spotted goby (scooter blenny?)
I have just about the save size tank with YWG, pair of clowns, diamond goby, cardinal fish and lawnmower blenny and I feed about a third of that.
I used to over feed. Fought algae and high nutrients. I kept cutting my feedings until I got where all the food will be ate in 2-3 minutes. Maybe faster. Now the fish are actually pursuing the food instead of just waiting for the juiciest price to float by them.
I feed the same as you.
PE mysis flat, about "half a cube worth" a day. I'll defrost and strain the food, then feed about 75% of what I strained and usually that's enough. The rest I'll spot feed corals after the feeding frenzy, put in a condiment cup for later or toss out. I feed rods food once a week to "feed the corals". When I was feeding rods food more often my nutrients shot up.
I think a lot has to do with filtration and the amount of corals.

Edit: just to clarify, I feed a half a cube or less each day.

OP
OP
Trueflo

Trueflo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just about the save size tank with YWG, pair of clowns, diamond goby, cardinal fish and lawnmower blenny and I feed about a third of that.
I used to over feed. Fought algae and high nutrients. I kept cutting my feedings until I got where all the food will be ate in 2-3 minutes. Maybe faster. Now the fish are actually pursuing the food instead of just waiting for the juiciest price to float by them.
I feed the same as you.
PE mysis flat, about "half a cube worth" a day. I'll defrost and strain the food, then feed about 75% of what I strained and usually that's enough. The rest I'll spot feed corals after the feeding frenzy, put in a condiment cup for later or toss out. I feed rods food once a week to "feed the corals". When I was feeding rods food more often my nutrients shot up.
I think a lot has to do with filtration and the amount of corals.

Edit: just to clarify, I feed a half a cube or less each day.
Thank you so much for your reply. This helps a lot. I was definitely feeding too much or am. I ran my nitrates last night and my Hannah stopped at 50PPM. So God only knows how high they are. And now I have one acan and 1 of my blastos are not doing well. No polyp extension.

OP
OP
Trueflo

Trueflo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the corals in question.
. all other corals are open and happy. Did a another 5 gallon water change last Night
Nitrate reads at 40.It's just weird that only those 2 would be p***** Off Going to do another 5 gallons tonight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_190434_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_190434_Gallery.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240123_190439_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_190439_Gallery.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back