Coral food

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some decent luck with AB+ for a few weeks, and then came the algae.
I stopped using it for a couple weeks and the tanks started to clear up - then I dosed AB again for a couple days and all of the algae came back.

What’s some good coral foods that doesn’t caus too much algae . I’m currently just broadcasting Misis shrimp
AB+never caused algae for me. Been using it at least 3 months. It doesn’t raise phosphates or anything. I wonder why it’s causing algae in your tank

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I read about home cultures talks about making sure everything is sterilized/super clean, otherwise it can crash the culture. Have you had any issues with that? What do you use to clean your equipment? I'm considering starting a culture to get off the expensive AB subscription boxes, but I really, REALLY don't need another thing to babysit. Lol
Ha! I don't. If I do anything at all, I just run everything under tap water to rinse it off. I've even experimented with adding tank water and tried raising brine shrimp in one culture (didn't work too well and the shells are a mess!).

I've never lost a batch. Btw, here's my very high-tech phyto rig. That's a plastic 1.5 gallon fish bowl and an LED painter's light. I put in in a box so I can close it up at night and not get the light spillout.
IMG_20200921_131109770.jpg

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I don't. If I do anything at all, I just run everything under tap water to rinse it off. I've even experimented with adding tank water and tried raising brine shrimp in one culture (didn't work too well and the shells are a mess!).

I've never lost a batch. Btw, here's my very high-tech phyto rig. That's a plastic 1.5 gallon fish bowl and an LED painter's light. I put in in a box so I can close it up at night and not get the light spillout.
IMG_20200921_131109770.jpg
That's pretty fancy! Lol I'm trying to figure out just how much I need, so I know where to start. From what I've seen, it can be any light (not like fancy refugium lights, etc) so maybe I'll give this a shot. I pretty much have all the stuff - did you start with an official culture, or just "regular" phyto like OceanMagick?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty fancy! Lol I'm trying to figure out just how much I need, so I know where to start. From what I've seen, it can be any light (not like fancy refugium lights, etc) so maybe I'll give this a shot. I pretty much have all the stuff - did you start with an official culture, or just "regular" phyto like OceanMagick?
I just started with some phyto I purchased from my LFS. I'm not sure what it is but I've been told it looks like nannochloropsis.

Lawpoke87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 45ml AB+ daily on a 155g display 220g total water volume. No algae issues although the macro in my 45g fug grows well. Tank is only 6 mos only so it’s a little early to tell if dosing is helping sps growth. So far so good though in a system packed with frags and small colonies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back