Coral frags bleached in just one day?

gatorcream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some corals in the mail from topshelfaquatics. They sent in a sheet saying their flow and lighting preferences too. Both of the corals require medium to high lighting.
Anyways, I got a Christmas mirabilis and a birds nest coral, and they seem to have bleached in just 1 day from being in my tank? I’m super confused. I’ve got 1 nicrew 100 watt light, raised up 8 inches above the tank. The mirabilis went from pink and red to bone white, even though it’s in the same general location as a hammer coral, and an elegance coral that are thriving receiving that amount of light. (None of them are close enough to be injuring eachother, I’m just talking about the light intensity/par).
And my birds nest coral is currently sitting at the bottom because I haven’t found a nice place for it yet, but also has turned white. The bottom gets enough light so that zoas, xenias, gsp, bubble tips anemones, and cloves are all very happy.
I’m just confused. My parameters are stable, I haven’t had any weird spikes lately. Can corals bleach from lack of light? I just don’t know what’s going on.

OP
OP
gatorcream

gatorcream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Ignore the algae on the glass in the pic with the birds nest lol, it’s a hard area to reach

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your phosphate, alkalinity, salinity, and temperature numbers compared to TSA's? My guess is your alk is way lower or way higher than theirs.

EDIT: also, did you dip before placing them in the tank. That's an added stressor.

Upvote 0

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top photo, sorry, that’s not bleaching. That’s rapid tissue necrosis (RTN). That coral is dead. The birds nest looks bleached and might pull through.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gatorcream

gatorcream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure it’s bleached and not tissue necrosis and what you are seeing is the corals skeleI agree with the first picture that it necrosis but if I’m seeing it right the birdsnest still has polyp extension.
I think so too, the birds nest still looks like it’s got polyps all around it, they’re just not green and blue like they were supposed to. Is there any hope that they can get better or are they pretty much goners?

Upvote 0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too, the birds nest still looks like it’s got polyps all around it, they’re just not green and blue like they were supposed to. Is there any hope that they can get better or are they pretty much goners?
With a tiny bit of tissue left on the mirabilis it can recover but most likely won’t. If everything in your tank is stable the birdsnest will likely recover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gatorcream

gatorcream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did they look like coming out of the shipping box? Temperature stress? I noticed you are in Michigan.
I don’t think there was temperature stress, I picked them up at a mail facility instead of having shipped to my house and be on a cold truck. They looked more colorful but closed. I acclimated for about 12 hours then dipped with polyp lab reef primer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gatorcream

gatorcream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a tiny bit of tissue left on the mirabilis it can recover but most likely won’t. If everything in your tank is stable the birdsnest will likely recover.
What causes this? Is there maybe something in my tank or was it the sudden lighting?

Upvote 0

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you parameters? I usually try to keep my alk/ca and temp close to the coral vendor I use. New corals sit on the frag rack for a few days before mounting.. low light won't kill them quickly, whereas too much will (imo and experience).

Upvote 0

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
First need to know your parameters. If u had to guess, it almost looks like polyp bailout from your tank having very high alk/phosphates. Can you list your parameters?

They won't bleach that fast from light as TSA runs Metal Halide, T5s, and Radions.

Upvote 0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That acro looks like it was doomed before you even got it tbh. The fact that you have other corals thriving tells me it's probably not parameters or toxins.

Tell me what you did when you got the corals?
Was shipping long?
Did they come in cold?
Hot?
Do you drip acclimate? (Don't do this for corals)

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back