Corals in my new tank BLEACHING

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHYYYYYYYY. So I have started a 310 gallon custom tank. It's been running since November. I have 3 Red Sea 160s for lights. They are super bright on 100% and I keep my frags in a 40g breeder with 3 Fluval Sea lights (not the most popular but I've had great luck with them, and they actually have a wonderful app).

So, I thought to avoid stress to the corals I'd but the 160's on acclimation mode, with a starting intensity of only 10% and a 90 day acclimation period. Within 2 weeks, the corals that were not on the sandbed were bleaching. Frogspawn, octospawn, birdsnest took the brunt of it :loudly-crying-face: :loudly-crying-face::loudly-crying-face:

I moved them back to the frag tank. That's been about another 2 weeks and they are SLOWLY getting their colour back.

Could the PAR really be that high on only 8% intensity to cause bleaching? I added Red Sea 90s to my softie tank and had them at 100% from the beginning with no issues. In fact, the softies immediately loved them and started growing like crazy and my bubble tips split within 2 weeks. Before this tank, I used the same 160s on a 300 gallon (that broke) and wasn't nearly so cautious with intensity and didn't have an issue.

Screen Shot 2024-01-13 at 6.39.16 PM.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,how are your nutrient #'s ?

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,how are your nutrient #'s ?
I'm actually working away from home right now so I can't get numbers right now. But, so far I have no fish in the system. Just some hermits, snails, and shrimps. I feed them pellets once a day and have an autofeeder going when I'm away.

There hasn't been an "ugly phase" yet. Just a small amount of brown algae on the glass has started. Do you think it's still just too soon? Cycle not done yet?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good possibility,let us know params when you can... :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back