Coral growing up another coral

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen where an encrusting coral is growing up a soft coral and neither seems to mind, for now at least.
20211027_163810.jpg

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. Good photography skills as well. I would keep that experiment going and I would actually like it if you kept this thread updated.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. Good photography skills as well. I would keep that experiment going and I would actually like it if you kept this thread updated.
It's weird because I normally suck at taking pictures I complain and apologize for how bad my pictures look all the time. This one was just a quick pic and I wasn't even trying and it did turn out good. I didn't even notice it was a decent pic until you mentioned it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that's kind what I assumed. Now I just need to decide if I even care enough about them to fix it. I guess now that I look at them closely they are decent looking zoas.

Sorry but in the interest of our enjoyment to see how far those tubes grow before the zoas die you have to leave it :)

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but in the interest of our enjoyment to see how far those tubes grow before the zoas die you have to leave it :)
Just that easily I've been convinced. If I decide to save the zoa I'll just frag a few polyps off. It's grown really quickly anyway so the loss of some doesn't bother me.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not one to let animals die if I can prevent it. Your call though.
I'm more of a survival of the fittest kinda person. They want want to survive they should adapt to where they won't get covered up by a slow growing encrusting coral.

Actually I see your point and for most animals I will agree that they shouldn't be left to die needlessly, but I honestly don't think of corals in the same way as I do fish for instance. I assume fish have the mental capacity to make decisions which also leads me to think there is a strong chance that they have feelings and can feel pain and possibly emotions. I doubt any of that is true for a coral. I think of them more like flowers than anything esle. Continuing to use flowers as an metaphor, they are a living thing but no one thinks a thing of cutting them off (that I am aware of at least, I don't see anyone boycotting a florist shop).

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am heartless. I kill intentionally pest animals constantly when I dip new corals. Sadly some non-pests get mixed in with the death as well, but it really does not keep me up at night.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back