Coral Growth vs Coloration

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video showing the difference in a couple popular fixtures when it comes to coral growth vs coloration. I found it interesting that Kessil has a seemingly distinct advantage in color development over some matrix fixtures although the matrix fixtures provide faster growth. I guess this is an indication that a combo setup is best when we want to achieve both growth and color development! And to be clear, he doesn't just compare nicrew vs kessil, he also shows the same type of coral in his display which yields the same color development as the nicrew although he is using Ecotech XR-15s and T5 combo - so it isn't just a "kessil is better because it costs more than nicrew" situation.

Last edited:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not to be conflicting, but the only LEDs that I run are those nicrews (a total of 16 fixtures). I don't have any issue coloring anything at all.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be conflicting, but the only LEDs that I run are those nicrews (a total of 16 fixtures). I don't have any issue coloring anything at all.

Compared to what, though?

This is an interesting comparison because of the same coral, same chemistry aspect. I'd like it more if he was more specific about PAR numbers in the exact spot the coral was growing in each tank, but he seems convinced enough to be contemplating changing all his lighting.

Maybe there's more to the Kessil thing than people give credit. In the new 52SE series by BRS, Ryan chose Kessil as the primary lighting on every one of the 7 different tanks, even though his company is owned by the same people that own Ecotech and AI.

I don't run Kessil lights myself, but color me intrigued. :D

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this video showing the difference in a couple popular fixtures when it comes to coral growth vs coloration. I found it interesting that Kessil has a seemingly distinct advantage in color development over some matrix fixtures although the matrix fixtures provide faster growth. I guess this is an indication that a combo setup is best when we want to achieve both growth and color development! And to be clear, he doesn't just compare nicrew vs kessil, he also shows the same type of coral in his display which yields the same color development as the nicrew although he is using Ecotech XR-15s and T5 combo - so it isn't just a "kessil is better because it costs more than nicrew" situation.

Interesting video! I'll have to watch this when I get some free time!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Compared to what, though?

The results stated in the video. Point being that although he didn't achieve good results with Nicrews, I have.

For the money, they are a very formidable lighting option.

The corals in both of these videos are growing under predominantly Nicrew LEDs (10x50w).

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back