cyphastrea coloration

Jason Scalise

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2019
Messages
328
Reaction score
361
Location
Phoenix, AZ
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this growing cyphastrea (meteor shower type).
My question is about its coloration on the edges.
Compared to the central green part....the growing, encrusting edges are much darker or even 'browned'.
To be clear, I am not worried about it
as it is growing fine at a good rate, good PE, etc....but more curious as what variables are most likely leading to this and to see if I am thinking about it correctly....as I assume the leading edge of growth is not always 'browned'.
see pics and the short video...
admittedly this pic does not show much color difference but the edges are much darker/browner than the center.

Video link

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 3.06.54 PM.png

relevant parameters are:
PAR 125-150
nitrate 6.0ppm
phosphate 0.1ppm
Ca 430
Mag 1350
dHk 7.5


thx
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new