First 8.5G cube tank, ocean water, learning curve.

viper5dn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I have some struggle with introducing basic SPS and LPS. All seem to be okay and three four weeks later they suffer... I checked the water and parameters are same... Need to dig into it a bit deeper.
I had the same experience with SPS on my 12G--I just don't think I could get water chemistry stable enough in such a small tank. The nano was my first tank too, so the challenge of a smaller aquarium + being a relative newbie to marine did not set me up for success with SPS.

viper5dn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I should have mentioned lighting the tank for SPS was also hard. Getting enough par at the top for SPS mean that LPS below were being over lit for me.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It changed a lot since my last update. The cube is now with only soft corals, and not that many of them.
I gave up trying to catch blenny and moving him to the large tank.

cube7months.jpg

It basically lives its own live.

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First update from the cube this year. Still did not do any water change, no supplementation, did not clean the filter. Nothing died and algae which recently appeared are in reverse. brown star polyp is on retreat after failed attempt on attacking green star polyp. I found some zoa and leatherstool leftovers growing :)

IMG-20240114-WA0000.jpg

OP
OP
MikeCRK

MikeCRK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the tank! Its simple yes but thats what makes it great. Its so full and lush. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks! Yeah, the idea is to have a desktop 'lamp' which apart to feeding, nothing needs to be done with. I will have to clean it eventually, as brown star is starting colonizing the filter and the heater. Found some zoas leftovers recently too. One blenny and one clown plus a hermit and a duster worm. That's all to make me happy :)

Last edited:

CharlieCattoC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! there's something amazing about just having a nice tank with easy corals. low stress, high reward.
Hey, I’ve been reading your old questions about the Chihiros WRGB light. Have you done something to make it work or did you completely bought a new reef light? I’ve been keeping fresh water for 4+ years now with a Chihiros WRGB 2 slim in my 60P tank, and planing to convert it in to a salt/reef tank wondering if I can still use the light if so what ratio should I use. Thank you.

(Happy to buy a new light specifically for corals but there’s a bit pricey for my budget right now)

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve been reading your old questions about the Chihiros WRGB light. Have you done something to make it work or did you completely bought a new reef light? I’ve been keeping fresh water for 4+ years now with a Chihiros WRGB 2 slim in my 60P tank, and planing to convert it in to a salt/reef tank wondering if I can still use the light if so what ratio should I use. Thank you.

(Happy to buy a new light specifically for corals but there’s a bit pricey for my budget right now)
I don’t think the slim is really suitable, but if you’re ok with a whiter spectrum an easy corals, the WRGB II or WRGB PRO would probably work. I just bought an AI blade

CharlieCattoC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and knowledge. I'm planning to keep easy soft coals and just a pair of clowns and maybe a yellow tail damsel or a cardinal. Do you recommend any easy corals you've kept? Thanks again.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and knowledge. I'm planning to keep easy soft coals and just a pair of clowns and maybe a yellow tail damsel or a cardinal. Do you recommend any easy corals you've kept? Thanks again.
I think GSP is perfect to start with. Super colorful under any spectrum, grows fast, and I haven’t managed to kill it yet :).
I’ve seen tanks covered in it, and they look stunning!

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think GSP is perfect to start with. Super colorful under any spectrum, grows fast, and I haven’t managed to kill it yet :).
I’ve seen tanks covered in it, and they look stunning!
Try a branching Duncan. Good indicator coral that is rather hardy.
When water parameters get out of whack these will tell you something is up.
1710441161156.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back