Coral health / advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter kobe6710
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kobe6710

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2025
Messages
109
Reaction score
45
Location
Dutchess County
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a hydrogen peroxide dip due to a vermetid snail infection my hammer coral currently looks much healthier. However one branch looks dead and has a vermetid right in the center of it. The individual who gave this to me insisted the branch would grow back and not to cut it. Should I cut back the branch or leave it be and keep treating for the infection?

Secondly, I picked up a toadstool leather with no polyps extended from Petco to see if I could rescue it (I regret this now due to possible vermetid and flatworm introduction 🤦‍♂️). Polyps are extended and the stem has actually quadrupled in size, but the coral is consistently laying on the sand bed and I do see a feather duster in the stem (second picture). Should I cut the stem above where the feather duster is? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Nutrients are all within range except for phosphates.

Phosphate- 0.20
Nitrate- 0.5
Alkalinity- 9.6
pH- 7.8
Calcium- 440
Magnesium- 1380


20260122_165551_887220CF-D1D3-4629-BB3C-E7A5201D4597.png

20260122_165610_B0DBDEC1-D543-4865-BBBE-684889E9BF49.png
 
I would prune back both honestly. Cut the dead head off the hammer and cut the toadstool a couple inches down from the head and stick it somewhere securely in a rack with medium flow and light.
 
I would prune back both honestly. Cut the dead head off the hammer and cut the toadstool a couple inches down from the head and stick it somewhere securely in a rack with medium flow and light.
Okay thank you I will do that
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new