Coral hitchhikers?

decastrat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Our corals have not been happy the last couple days, especially our hammers.

Short story - had 90 gallon set up for one year and all was good - decided to upgrade to 110 (same footprint just 6 inches taller). Nothing was added to the tank except more dry rock - no new fish, no new coral. Everything had been in the 90 for 6 weeks minimum before transfer (only thing added in 3 months before the switch was a bird's nest and torches - these were dipped properly) All was good for 4 weeks. Female clown got sick (unsure if it was brooks or velvet), pulled and put in QT. Didn't make it.

Treated the tank with Ruby Reef RallyPro and Kick-Ich for 2 weeks. Coral were happy first, but then started closing up. Water parameters have been fine, except in the last 24 hours we had an ammonia spike (1ppm) (don't know why as no fish have died, and we are not over feeding - water is clear with minimal algae growth) so we just completed a 50% water change.

Parameters before water change:
Ammonia: 1 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10 ppm
PH: 8.2
Alk: 9.7
Cla: 435
Mg: 1275
Phosphate: 0

With the corals seemingly unhappy, we decided to spot feed the RedSea AB+ coral food (which we had done 3x per week prior to the 2 week RallyPro/Kick-Ich treatment). When my wife was doing the spot feeding, we noticed stringy stuff coming out of the mouths of the hammers and torches. Looking closer at all the unhappy corals, we noticed what looked like cooked spaghetti (little wavy circles) inside all the corals since at this point they were all pulled in - the hammers hadn't been open for 2 days. A quick Google search, we decided to pull the corals out and put in a QT after dipping with RedSea Coral Bath Dip X.

It just seems like one thing after another all of a sudden and the only thing we've changed is the glass box housing our reef tank.

Any help in identifying if these are hitchhikers on the coral and any treatment recommendations?

PXL_20230819_215832003.jpg PXL_20230820_002649524.jpg PXL_20230820_013448487.jpg PXL_20230820_013515147.jpg

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those hammers are not happy. 0 PO4 is no bueno. No3 could also be a bit higher ~20. Could be starving your corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back