OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending way, way too much time looking for this online, I think I know what it is. I think it is the Northern Star coral, which is a cup coral as several people suggested. It's range is from the Gulf of Mexico to way up the East Coast. It looks the same and comes in the same cream color as mine. Thanks for the help everyone!

1695359803045.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also thought they had to have zooxanthellae to fluoresce, but I just found this from some research done in Japan:

"Corals have been expected to signal free-living zooxanthellae in seawater to increase the chance of meeting potential symbiotic partners, but we did not know what the signal was or even whether such a signal actually existed." said Associate Professor Shunichi Takahashi of the National Institute for Basic Biology in Japan. "We focused on the green fluorescence emitted by corals, and showed the first experimental evidence that corals attract free-living zooxanthellae by their green fluorescence produced by certain proteins in the coral."

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back