Coral ID Request

therealraf02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 12, 2024
Messages
449
Reaction score
171
Location
New York
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got this from petco today.
Any ideas what this is? (The encrusting coral on the left)

Thanks!

IMG_9212.png
 
This was it in the store
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9213.png
    IMG_9213.png
    741 KB · Views: 54
If it came from petco and it's still alive that's already a win for the OP.
Hahaha i feel you, petcos usually suck for this kind of stuff. However I’m in NYC and the flagship location here has a pretty nice frag tank, and the saltwater selection is impressive for a petco! I spoke to the manager and according to him, as they’re the flagship location they’ll be able to get in anything a customer requests eventually.
I’ll try to take a picture of the tank today since I plan on visiting again.
 
Video of the psammacora(?). Pretty interesting if you ask me!
 

Attachments

  • d98759edd84c427a92ce114282072f09.mov
    21.1 MB
Hahaha i feel you, petcos usually suck for this kind of stuff. However I’m in NYC and the flagship location here has a pretty nice frag tank, and the saltwater selection is impressive for a petco! I spoke to the manager and according to him, as they’re the flagship location they’ll be able to get in anything a customer requests eventually.
I’ll try to take a picture of the tank today since I plan on visiting again.
Surprisingly my Petco has a really well stocked and nicely maintained reef section too but this is rare with Petco.
 
Thats great! I just came back from a visit to POTO (Pieces of the Ocean). Super cool place, very cool dude working there as well. Probably the nicest corals and tanks I’ve ever laid my eyes on so far. The cleanest store I’ve seen too!
 
1st one is Cycloseris explanulata I think; 2nd one's a Porites

Edit: on 2nd thought, the branching coral might not be a Porites. Would need to see it in better lighting to tell
Thinking it’s an encrusting psammacora!
not Psammocora; notice the septo-costae are not petaloid
 
1st one is Cycloseris explanulata I think; 2nd one's a Porites

Edit: on 2nd thought, the branching coral might not be a Porites. Would need to see it in better lighting to tell

not Psammocora; notice the septo-costae are not petaloid
I thought the second one was a purple stylo? Or are you to referring to a different image?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new