Coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter CRABDADDY
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CRABDADDY

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
277
Reaction score
170
Location
Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I noticed this little coral awhile back in my tank. I thought it was a piece of the monti cap next to it, but now that it's polyps are large enough to see it no longer looks like montipora to me. Any idea as to what this could be? I'm really excited to find this in my tank and I'd love to have an idea of what it is!

PXL_20240716_165111944.jpg
 
I'm honestly stumped on this one. My best guess would be an aberrant Turbinaria based on the coenosteum, but those don't have acrospheres.
 
I'm honestly stumped on this one. My best guess would be an aberrant Turbinaria based on the coenosteum, but those don't have acrospheres.
I do not know much about taxonomy or coral ID. I looked up coenosteum and that's the space between the polyps, correct? I couldn't find a definition for acrospheres. What does that mean?
 
I do not know much about taxonomy or coral ID. I looked and that's the space between the polyps, correct? I couldn't find a definition for acrospheres. What does that mean?
More the space outside the calices. Acrospheres are nematocyst batteries at the tip of the tentacles
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new