Coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jay Tosi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jay Tosi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2019
Messages
52
Reaction score
65
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this very nice heathy colony up form my lfs , wild caught , had acro crab on it( it died during dip/quarantine ) I need some id if possible I just have no clue ?

25AF76DF-9860-440D-8B08-D09024B92122.jpeg A0F349F0-EF24-4463-978D-AE1EC2299FA8.jpeg 626AE47D-2DF2-4C54-89B0-69220E9F3864.jpeg 024DD3F1-F300-4A60-9B73-F67036A82F5A.jpeg
 
yep looks like sarmentosa, probably greenish with brown, red polyps? I would have tried to fish the acro crab out. I miss those
Thank you so much that’s exactly the coloration and I tried but he sadly passed and do you know if they are rare at all?
 
Thank you so much that’s exactly the coloration and I tried but he sadly passed and do you know if they are rare at all?
They're pretty common on wilds, and on MC pieces, and every time I would get those back then, I'd get them out first before dipping. They were a nice find, always. They like to tend to the colony.

There were stores that sold them for $10+
 
They're pretty common on wilds, and on MC pieces, and every time I would get those back then, I'd get them out first before dipping. They were a nice find, always. They like to tend to the colony.

There were stores that sold them for $10+

i was thinking of ordering some they are super cool what about the coral is it rare or anything ?
 
i was thinking of ordering some they are super cool what about the coral is it rare or anything ?
I mean, it's pretty pedestrian in terms of color, but the growth form is what's nice. I had a nice sarmentosa colony a few years ago before I lost it. It's not rare by any means, but who cares; collect what you like.
 
Sarmentosa for sure, May not be rare or super pretty (beauty is in the eye of the beholder though) its morphology is pretty unique from other acropora, having very undistinguished axials as radial corallites will form practically on top of branch tips right next to the axials.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new