Coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter Snoopdog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,646
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Mobile, AL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is some type of soft encrusting coral. From the location I got the rock I would think this is native to Florida, probably around the Florida Keys. Any idea?


DSCN2916.jpg
 
I think this is some type of soft encrusting coral. From the location I got the rock I would think this is native to Florida, probably around the Florida Keys. Any idea?


DSCN2916.jpg


Does it have a skeleton when it retracts? Or is it soft and fleshy?
 
Well it is tiny, way smaller than the picture. Looks fleshy to me, that is why i posted in soft coral.


If you touch it it should retract. If it's spongy then it could be some type of sympodium, or paralemnalia, cladelia (I know I spelled that wrong), etc. Count the tentacles on each polyp. I believe aleveopora only has 12.

added: If it has more than eight each polyp it's most likely not a soft coral, which are octocorals (8 tentacles).
 
Well it is coloring up, and growing. There are twelve tentacles per polyp is this still looking like Alveopora Allingi? We also noticed further down the rock a tiny piece is growing on the rock, covered in algae but I am trying to keep it clean.

hitchhiker_coral_a.jpg
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new