Coral ID

Jharris032

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2023
Messages
39
Reaction score
80
Location
West Palm
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I purchased a handfull of corals at one time and after getting home, acclimating everything and placing them all I noticed there was a coral I didn’t chose so I’m assuming my LFS decided to just include it in the lot or they added it mistakenly and I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s an Acan?.?.? Can somebody tell me exactly what it is?

0A84A4C5-5AE5-440C-BF8F-7376A3D528DA.png
 
looks like an acan head
That’s what I was thinking….caught this tonight looks like it’s tentacles are reaching from under the cap??
 

Attachments

  • 4A7A3870-5539-4290-AC19-E125A0B7D392.jpeg
    4A7A3870-5539-4290-AC19-E125A0B7D392.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 40
Looks like Micromussa lordhowensis (formerly acanthastrea lorhowensis). Also, the "tentacles" underneath the cap might just be the skeletal structure underneath the polyp.
No, those are just tentacles. Septal teeth sticking out look different.
 
Almost entirely certain that it is in the Micromussa genus, and fairly certain that it is Micromussa lordhowensis, but it could be another species within this genus.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new