Coral Identification help!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Consumify
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Consumify

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 14, 2025
Messages
3
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I bought a rock from my LFS which had this stick coral coming off of it. Would anyone be able to help with an ID?

Thanks!!

20250417_191813.jpg
 
Hello,

I bought a rock from my LFS which had this stick coral coming off of it. Would anyone be able to help with an ID?

Thanks!!

20250417_191813.jpg
Super cool, those are pretty uncommon. I think it is a corkscrew gorgonian.
Screenshot_20250417-172628_Chrome (1).jpg
 
Whip/Wire coral similar to cirrapathes spiralis
 
You can see tentacles in the source pic?
it's a little hard to make out. The polyp morphology is also a bit different in black corals. Black corals' polyps don't have stalks, while this coral's polyps do.
 
it's a little hard to make out. The polyp morphology is also a bit different in black corals. Black corals' polyps don't have stalks, while this coral's polyps do.
Ok. I do agree on the presence of the stalk as an identifying factor.

@Kasrift you are so wrong it’s like not even funny. How could you miss the stalks? Both @thamnasteroid and I discussed and came to the same conclusion. You’re wrongskies :face-with-monocle:
 
Probably just regular photosynthetic purple gorgonian that is growing a bit funky due to the current it lived in
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new