Coral Identification

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone -
Need a little help ID'ing a coral. It was sold to me as a Gonipora, however, I'm fairly convinced it isn't a Goni. Also, up until yesterday it had great polyp extension. It was usually pretty "hairy" looking and seemed happy. Yesterday it closed up and hasn't reopened. I've attached a copy of my most recent ICP results. The trace elements are low, I've ordered an additive and will begin supplementing as soon as it arrives. I have attached 2 photos of the coral in question. One close up of the current state, and one overall tank shot that shows its previous state when the polyps were more extended. It is near the lower right corner of the tank near the red Goni in the tank shot.

Thank you! PXL_20221119_140027502 circled.jpg PXL_20221111_211030790 circled.jpg

Attachments

• edited test.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the polyp extensions enough in the second image, but it's definitely not a goniopora.
Thank you for the confirmation. It looks nothing like the other Goni I have (the red one right next to it). Unfortunately the only pics I had when the polyps were out was the whole tank shot. The polyps look a lot more like hair, not at all like a gonipora.

Take a look at this pic, maybe it will be helpful. You can only see half of it (on the left obviously), but it's a closeup and the polyps are out.

PXL_20221111_211209021.MP.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the confirmation. It looks nothing like the other Goni I have (the red one right next to it). Unfortunately the only pics I had when the polyps were out was the whole tank shot. The polyps look a lot more like hair, not at all like a gonipora.

Take a look at this pic, maybe it will be helpful. You can only see half of it (on the left obviously), but it's a closeup and the polyps are out.

PXL_20221111_211209021.MP.jpg
It's not an alveopora, either - and definitely not a GSP. I wonder if it's some kind of mushroom?

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an alveopora, either - and definitely not a GSP. I wonder if it's some kind of mushroom?
I don't think it's a mushroom, when the polyps are retracted it feels like it has a skeleton. I wondered it if was something like a pavona, but I don't know if pavona get "hairy" looking when the polyps are out.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a mushroom, when the polyps are retracted it feels like it has a skeleton. I wondered it if was something like a pavona, but I don't know if pavona get "hairy" looking when the polyps are out.
If it has a skeleton then that rules out any soft corals, so it's probably an LPS. I know there are a few weird goniopora variants (I have a bernardpora).

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has a skeleton then that rules out any soft corals, so it's probably an LPS. I know there are a few weird goniopora variants (I have a bernardpora).
Agreed. I think LPS is the likely candidate. I was hoping to track down the exact species so I can figure out why it isn't extending anymore. It's odd, it was fine one day, not the next. No changes to anything else in the tank, just this one. Something made it angry.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I think LPS is the likely candidate. I was hoping to track down the exact species so I can figure out why it isn't extending anymore. It's odd, it was fine one day, not the next. No changes to anything else in the tank, just this one. Something made it angry.
If you can, try to take a complete close-up of it when it's no longer ticked off.

OP
OP
D

demon_speeding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a weird little guy. It's in the lower part of the tank, moderate flow, I'm waiting on a par meter to measure the light, but it's probably around 125 if I had to guess. It seems happy enough. I guess I'll wait for it to grow and see what it turns into. Maybe someone else will have an idea of what it is.

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If anyone can help ID this little guy it would be greatly appreciated. I received him as a freebee in a recent order. I have a Nem/Zoa only tank so I have no idea if this will fit in or not. I would like to do some research, but need help with a name. Its currently sitting in my quarantine tank. let me know if more pics or anything will help.
1669956887314.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydnophora

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone can help ID this little guy it would be greatly appreciated. I received him as a freebee in a recent order. I have a Nem/Zoa only tank so I have no idea if this will fit in or not. I would like to do some research, but need help with a name. Its currently sitting in my quarantine tank. let me know if more pics or anything will help.
1669956887314.png
Are you asking what type of mushrooms are on the rock?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1669956887314.png
Looks to me like a rhodactis mushroom. They can go fine in a zoa/nem tank. They can at times spread fairly fast. The nem would be a problem for it if it parked right on top but otherwise it's generally easy to keep

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back