Coral is bleaching!

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a favia coral about 2-3 weeks ago and I recently noticed that it’s been turning white around the edges and losing color. I know this is a sign of bleaching but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong! I noticed on top of that that there’s strings of hair algae growing on it. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a favia coral about 2-3 weeks ago and I recently noticed that it’s been turning white around the edges and losing color. I know this is a sign of bleaching but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong! I noticed on top of that that there’s strings of hair algae growing on it. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it?
There’s a lot to unpack here. For starters, what are your basic parameters?

It sounds more like Slow Tissue Necrosis, than bleaching.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a lot to unpack here. For starters, what are your basic parameters?

It sounds more like Slow Tissue Necrosis, than bleaching.
7.8-8 pH, .25-.50 ammonia, 0 for nitrate and nitrite
E8D00646-D079-445C-BF53-CFD91273EC9A.jpeg

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Water shouldn't have any ammonia and tank shouldn't have any corals at this time until tank become more mature and stable parameter.

ATAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia will affect fish and their respiratory systems more than corals (if at all). It’s fair to assume you are very new. I suggest going on YouTube and learning about reef aquarium water quality and everything else you can take.

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water shouldn't have any ammonia and tank shouldn't have any corals at this time until tank become more mature and stable parameter.
It’s been set up for over a year and a half and I have other corals doing just fine

OP
OP
L

Le Dirk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia will affect fish and their respiratory systems more than corals (if at all). It’s fair to assume you are very new. I suggest going on YouTube and learning about reef aquarium water quality and everything else you can take.
I’ve had the tank set up for a while now, somewhere over 1.5 years and all my other corals are doing fine. I’ve been feeding my fish a lot more than usual so that’s probably why I have a spike in ammonia

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back