Coral is melting

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree - coral is not dead but experiencing tissue loss. This happens at tmes when new coral is added or there is a change in light and water flow. Others are increase in alk or calcium, salinity drop, low oxygen and elevated phosphate as well as a change in brand of salt.
If this is a new/newer tank, this too can play a role

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree - coral is not dead but experiencing tissue loss. This happens at tmes when new coral is added or there is a change in light and water flow. Others are increase in alk or calcium, salinity drop, low oxygen and elevated phosphate as well as a change in brand of salt.
If this is a new/newer tank, this too can play a role
Would this be toxic to my water?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would this be toxic to my water?
Listed are Possible causes. Toxic would be addition of leather corals that release toxins known as terpenes and elevated phos can cause issues

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain the difference between master reef and master salt water test kits?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain the difference between master reef and master salt water test kits?
API? Fine for the initial set-up, but once your tank is cycled, please invest in more precise kits - Salifert and Red Sea are good choices.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones are only necessary in saltwater if you're experiencing a power outtage and need to keep the water aerated.

They won't cause any "harm" per se, but they will cause an excess amount of noise and salt spray that could be considered "harm" :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add that prime. In saltwater most of the chemical quick fixes will send you chasing from one thing to another. Much better off with a series of water changes and taking things slow. I can’t think of a single good thing that happens fast in reef keeping.
Agreed. Prime is a good dechlorinator if you need to use tap water in an emergency. Otherwise it has no use.

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Prime is a good dechlorinator if you need to use tap water in an emergency. Otherwise it has no use.
I started with tab water, dude at the LFS said it was safe . I did a partial water change today and used imagnitarium pre made salt water. I need to get some RO water and keep it on hand. Is it ok to pre mix water and keep it in 5 gallon buckets with a lid on?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with tab water, dude at the LFS said it was safe . I did a partial water change today and used imagnitarium pre made salt water. I need to get some RO water and keep it on hand. Is it ok to pre mix water and keep it in 5 gallon buckets with a lid on?
If I were you, I wouldn't take much more advice from your LFS.

Don't need to be rude and say the people on the interwebs said so, but the people on the interwebs are saying so! Haha

Do you mean premix saltwater? Yes and no. Premixing saltwater is good and widely done if it's done properly and using the right salt mix.

That means no light exposure, heated, and circulated with a pump. Also depends on the specific salt you use. Some do not recommend storing for longer than 2 days.

BRS has many videos about storing salts and what happens over a 2-3 week period.

OP
OP
bradyrollie4

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't need to be rude and say the people on the interwebs said so, but the people on the interwebs are saying so! Haha

Do you mean premix saltwater? Yes and no. Premixing saltwater is good and widely done if it's done properly and using the right salt mix.

That means no light exposure, heated, and circulated with a pump. Also depends on the specific salt you use. Some do not recommend storing for longer than 2 days.

BRS has many videos about storing salts and what happens over a 2-3 week period.
Ok.. good to know

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, PLEASE find a new LFS! Tap water is not suitable for saltwater tanks... There's a lot more than chlorine in tap that can negatively affect your system. For a 40 gallon tank, I recommend you invest in a simple RODI unit so you can filter your own water. Barring that, only buy RODI water, not just RO, and periodically check it to make sure the LFS isn't selling you high TDS water.

Many salts can be mixed and stored for a while, but there are several threads about these already. if you do mix and store saltwater, then you definitely want it in a covered/sealed container to prevent evaporation (evap isn't actually bad, it will just change the salinity of the saltwater...)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know your living situation, but getting a RODI unit and something to store water in that can handle a decent sized water change would be a good investment.

You're tank looks like a 40 or 75g? Brute trash cans come in 35 and 45 gallon sizes with rolling carts. Get a cheap circulation pump and a small heater that stays in the brute can

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mix and store IORC for several weeks without heat or circulation and it's fine.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix and store IORC for several weeks without heat or circulation and it's fine.
Good to know!

I recall from a BRS investigates that heat and circulation could affect various salt clarity and parameters (alk I think was most affected?)

One that comes to mind is Red Sea Coral Pro Salt in black bucket. They even discourage it on the labeling though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back