Coral Issues (Some Thriving, Some Dying)

TMORGAN1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new to reef tanks but this is the first one I've had in 10 years. Been up and running for about 6 months now and I can't seem to get my corals to all be happy at the same time

Fluval 32.5

pH---8.1
Alk---10.3
Calc---450
Mag---1250
Salnity---1.026
Temp---77.4

Test nitrites and nitrates weekly. Always fine

The issues are not consistent through types of corals. Most softies are doing great. Spreading or dropping clones all the time.
1/2 of my hard corals are doing great. Brain corals and encrusting corals seem to be doing the best.

Having issues with duncans withering away as well as candy canes.
Also have a few pagoda cups are not extending polyps, ever. They are keeping their green hue but nothing comes out like in the LFS

Is there another parameter I need to start measuring that would make certain corals die off/hibernate while others thrive? Phosphates?

Currently have Fluval Marine LED lighting. I recently turned them down under the guess I may be burning the corals but that has had no effect on anything as of yet. Should I continue to turn the lights lower?

Thanks for any insights

T

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you place the duncans and candy canes? To me, 'withering away' could mean not enough light, but I'm just guessing. Fluval lights are not very strong, I don't think turning them down is the answer.

These are pretty easy corals that should be fine in a 6 month old tank, your pararmeters are fine. Alk a little high and mag a little low, but not a big deal to cause withering away.

IMO, its a low light issue, Hopefully others have better idea's.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason to test nitrites in a salt tank. What are you phosphate and nitrate numbers? You want phosphate at .05 to .1 and nitrate 10 to 15 for LPS corals.

ovicez2004

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Nitrate 5, Ph 0.03, Alk 10.3, calcium 450, Mg do not know, Ph 8.05. I don't have dying corals, but nothing looks like other's tanks on youtube. Corals: zoa, green pavona, blue pavona, hydnophora, rhodactis, xenia, kenya tree, candy cane. 20 gallon nano with 6 gallon chaeto refugium.

Back