Coral nutrients questions

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So, since my tank was a Facebook Marketplace score, it came with a ton of extra goodies. Some of which being an unopened bottle of all-for-reef, reef chili, red sea chemicals, and acro power. I have nonuse for any of this stuff yet as all my elements come from red sea coral pro salt and biweekly water changes. The only stony corals I have are a tiny duncan and frogspawn. Everything else is softies. One question/area of confusion I have is should I dose this AcroPower? I read it’s for ULN SPS systems. So since amino acids are essential to skeletal development, are they present in “high” nutrient systems? I have no3 around 10ppm give or take. I suppose that would be considered moderate by most standards. Am I depriving my corals of anything? My levels are 9.5 dkh, 450 ca, 1400 mg, and I don’t test phos.

Basically the question is, will dosing acropower make my LPS (the wee duncan and frogspawn) grow quicker or be happier? Not that they aren’t happy

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have a few corals the water changes replenish nutrients. When your tank is full of corals and water changes are not enough to keep up then supplement dosing helps keep nutrients and trace elements in balance. Coral vitamins like roids will spike phosphate a lot same with other coral additives. Fish poop is the best nutrition fertilizer for coral.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have a few corals the water changes replenish nutrients. When your tank is full of corals and water changes are not enough to keep up then supplement dosing helps keep nutrients and trace elements in balance. Coral vitamins like roids will spike phosphate a lot same with other coral additives. Fish poop is the best nutrition fertilizer for coral.
I plan to have my tank mainly dominated by zoanthids, some euphyllia, and rock flower nems. Do you think ONLY weekly 15% water changes would still suffice for keeping nutrients in check? Since I never plan to keep SPS or extensive LPS

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have my tank mainly dominated by zoanthids, some euphyllia, and rock flower nems. Do you think ONLY weekly 15% water changes would still suffice for keeping nutrients in check? Since I never plan to keep SPS or extensive LPS
What size tank? Time will tell.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 29
You will probably be fine with fish fertilizer and weekly water changes but you will know when your tank is full of coral and you test the main 3. Trace elements will easily be managed with water changes. If your tank starts growing a bunch of coraline then some calcium hand dosing may be needed. I hand dosed alk and cal for like 4 months and only recently got a doser as demand has increased.

Back