Coral of the Week: Grafted Montipora Capricornis

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clipped a couple pieces from both of mine and glued them together,we'll see if it works LOL I did 2 frags incase 1 is a fluke :D

Jordangil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clipped a couple pieces from both of mine and glued them together,we'll see if it works LOL I did 2 frags incase 1 is a fluke :D
I mean I guess it could work but I would think everyone would be doing it if it really worked like that . Wwc said they tried that and it didn't work the only way it will work is if you take a green piece and a red piece from the same colony and put it together .

Frick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I guess it could work but I would think everyone would be doing it if it really worked like that . Wwc said they tried that and it didn't work the only way it will work is if you take a green piece and a red piece from the same colony and put it together .

They have to be the same species. I don't think everyone realizes how many Montiopora species there are out there that look like capricornis but are not at all. Idaho Grape, not a capricornis. Flower Petal, not a cap. I have Montipora capitata, which branches, in my tank and i call it my Monti cap.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the piece I picked up from WWC. Very cool piece. What is really interesting is that some of the polyps actually have both green and red.

IMGP6253.jpg

This is a piece I picked up recently. It started off as a frag of Reef Tech's Starburst Monti, but has recently picked up a green streak. The green streak is on the right side of the frag. Hopefully it keeps the graft and continues to grow out.

IMGP6252.jpg

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to see where you should place this coral. I just bought one from WWC and I have a 75G with 8x54w ATI fixture over it with 2 MP40's on the back wall. Thank you for the help

Back