Coral of the Week: Scolymia

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend these to intermediate to advanced hobbyists. Its very easy to bleach by overexposure to light or cause permanent/very slow to heal damage by mistreatment. They are very easily stung by other corals, leading to tissue recession and death.

I also could not find any reference other than live aquaria's comment that they are found in association with tridacna clams. Odd since they both like very different conditions in reef aquariums.

Its also a little funny to me that live aquaria cannot identify S. vitensis from S. australis. Its pretty obvious... vitensis are bumpy and australis are fairly smooth.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/large/lg-83691-button-coral.jpg (Upper right is the vitensis)

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd recommend these to intermediate to advanced hobbyists. Its very easy to bleach by overexposure to light or cause permanent/very slow to heal damage by mistreatment. They are very easily stung by other corals, leading to tissue recession and death.

I also could not find any reference other than live aquaria's comment that they are found in association with tridacna clams. Odd since they both like very different conditions in reef aquariums.

Great advice from someone who knows! Thanks.

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:tongue:Couple of my gems.

001.jpg 028.jpg 027.jpg 029.jpg 024.jpg

Sick assortment here! Wow! Love those first two, they are very unique!

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seem to love decently high light. I have them on the bottom of the tank but the tank is lit with some really bright leds and I have some monti cap and an acro growing right along side the scolly. For me the thing I have to watch is flow. My tank has 75x turnover and the scolly's seem to hate it so I place them whatever dead spots I can find.

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read that these corals prefer cooler water temperatures. I keep my tank at 77F and my Scolymia seems to love it.

Scolymia300819.png

Regards

Lisa

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! What do you feed yours and how often?

Thanks! I alternate between Krill Pacifica, PE Mysis and LPS pellets maybe once every 1-2 weeks or so. Sometimes it snags it’s own snack when I’m feeding the NPS corals. I’ve found it a really easy to care for coral. I wish I could afford to add more. :)

Regards

Lisa

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back