Coral Placement and Fish Stock

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dou g
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dou g

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2022
Messages
62
Reaction score
39
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm hoping to get some opinions on my tank scape and any corals that may be a good fit for the lower, middle, and upper sections. Currently par on sand is 50-80, higher shelf areas range from 100 to 150. The par will continue to go up slowly over time as it is in acclimation mode.


40 Gallon Breeder (1 year)
Sal 1.026
Dkh 8.5
Calc 420
Ph 8.1

Stock
2 ocellaris clowns
Yellow watchman & pistol shrimp pair
Royal Gramma
Purple Firefish
Blood Shrimp
Algea Blenny (new still in QT, just observation)
Assorted snails and crabs

I want to add a 6 line wrasse as a final fish, and not sure if there is another fish I should consider prior or if stock already at capacity. So far all existing fish are peaceful (Blenny unknown).

Existing coral:
Leather toadstool, Palythoas, Zoas, Duncan, Candy Cane, Hairy Mushroom. Florida ricordia, Cyphastrea (was labeled laptastrea)

Very Recent additions:
Clove Polyps, 2 Hammers, montipora digitata.

The only coral fixed in place on main scape is toadstool, and some Palythoas that got loose.

Clowns host the Leather toadstool and the gramma, firefish, and gobyshrimp pair all use the rightmost rock as shelter. Left side of tank unoccupied.

Appreciate any insight to coral placement (conditions and aesthetic), growth considerations, warfare. Afraid to glue something entrusting down and regretting it later.



20241031_170136.jpg

20241031_170128.jpg

20241102_122915.jpg
 
Looks good!
The 6-line is a toss up. Sometimes they are great and other times they are evil. The one time I tried one it died in qt and I took that as a sign to not try again in that tank.
Those clowns have the potential to get mean, so I wouldn’t want to add any other potential aggressors to the mix.
I would stick to more peaceful fish like a springers damsel or clown goby.

As for the corals my main suggestion is to keep the palys as far away from the rocks as possible. You’ll thank yourself in a few months.
 
Looks good!
The 6-line is a toss up. Sometimes they are great and other times they are evil. The one time I tried one it died in qt and I took that as a sign to not try again in that tank.
Those clowns have the potential to get mean, so I wouldn’t want to add any other potential aggressors to the mix.
I would stick to more peaceful fish like a springers damsel or clown goby.

As for the corals my main suggestion is to keep the palys as far away from the rocks as possible. You’ll thank yourself in a few months.
Thanks!
Regarding the 6 line, I'm hoping I get lucky, as it is a utilitarian pick, for vermited snails and flatworms, the visuals are a bonus. It seems more docile wrasse/fish that meet the criteria require a larger tank. Sorry about the QT loss, that was my experience and decision with diamond goby.

The Palys have grown a lot the last year, I'm contemplating selling the larger colony as it's growing into the rock scape and glass. I'll have to look into getting tongs to remove the 3 frags that are attached to 3 different rocks, have thankfully stayed single head for months,
 
You have so much space! Personally, I would bump up the par and add some plating montipora's on the highest rock. On the middle size rocks I would add some wavy corals, duncans, goni's and euphllia. In the ends of the tank I would add some gorgonians for some movement and height. I would get rid of those ('m sorry to say it) ugly green and brown pally's, they will spread like crazy. Instead I would start new islands with beautiful colourful zoa's/pally's. All these I mentioned are easy hardy and relatively inexpensive. The tank needs color so stay away from the greens and browns.

Take a pic to show us when your done.
 
When dealing with Palys be very, very, very, VERY careful. Wear gloves (to the elbow) and use face protection that includes goggles. They excrete a potential death dealing toxin. Basically, you can't be too careful. DO YOUR RESEARCH on how to safely deal with them.
 
Making the 6 line, the final add as you describe, gives you the best chance for compatibility.

This way, everyone else has settled first before we unleash this fish.

I’ve not had any issues.
 
I have two sixlines (seperate tanks) that are model citizens. They spend the day cruising in and out of the rocks. I think many times they get a bad rap because they are placed in a tank too small, over crowded or not enough rock work. I like to keep them for pest control but I have not heard of or witnessed them having any effect on vermatids which I have.
 
You have so much space! Personally, I would bump up the par and add some plating montipora's on the highest rock. On the middle size rocks I would add some wavy corals, duncans, goni's and euphllia. In the ends of the tank I would add some gorgonians for some movement and height. I would get rid of those ('m sorry to say it) ugly green and brown pally's, they will spread like crazy. Instead I would start new islands with beautiful colourful zoa's/pally's. All these I mentioned are easy hardy and relatively inexpensive. The tank needs color so stay away from the greens and browns.

Take a pic to show us when your done.
Thanks for the input. I'll continue to increase the par over time, considering no Ill effects on coral become present. I'm not familiar with wavy corals, so I will have to do some research. Based an growth patterns and viewing angle, is the a simple tip on which corals should be more up front vs placed in the back?

Would a plating monti on top cause issues blocking light to corals below overtime?

I'll attempt to get rid of palys, since I've known for a while I don't want them to take over, and as someone else mentioned risk of palytoxin.
 
When dealing with Palys be very, very, very, VERY careful. Wear gloves (to the elbow) and use face protection that includes goggles. They excrete a potential death dealing toxin. Basically, you can't be too careful. DO YOUR RESEARCH on how to safely deal with them.
Thanks for the heads up. I heard of palytoxin, but didn't know how severe it can be. I'll take precautions as you suggest. I do have long gloves I can use, and I plan to get some long tweezers. I do have a paly hiding I a hole in a back rock and would be hard to to reach, wondering if I can set a rock over and block light to starve it.
 
I have two sixlines (seperate tanks) that are model citizens. They spend the day cruising in and out of the rocks. I think many times they get a bad rap because they are placed in a tank too small, over crowded or not enough rock work. I like to keep them for pest control but I have not heard of or witnessed them having any effect on vermatids which I have.
Thanks for the input, I'm hoping I'm lucky and have a similar experience. Currently only the clownfish actively swim the water column, and the benny currently in qt will likely move around. Only time everyone swims freely is at feeding time with pumps are off. Do you have a lot of vermatids on surface rock? I have a lot, was really hoping it could help on top of other pests. I did add 8 bumble bee snails a month back to try and help, not sure if they have made a difference yet.
 
Making the 6 line, the final add as you describe, gives you the best chance for compatibility.

This way, everyone else has settled first before we unleash this fish.

I’ve not had any issues.
Great, that is the plan! Hopefully the clowns don't become bully's to it while it establishes its area.
 
get a sixline wrasse smaller then the clowns. They hate small fish I have one who loves to pick on some off my baby damselfish
 
Bumblebees are good for vermetids in my experience. I haven’t seen them eating them, but I’ve definitely noticed less when I have them vs when I don’t.
 
So with what I currently have and with some consideration of future purchases, would the following placement be a good start if I was to fix in place? The Duncan still has the plug so cannot place it yet.
20241104_174747~2.jpg
20241104_191126~2.jpg
 
get a sixline wrasse smaller then the clowns. They hate small fish I have one who loves to pick on some off my baby damselfish
That's a good point, and most of the fish other than the clowns are juvenile.
 
Bumblebees are good for vermetids in my experience. I haven’t seen them eating them, but I’ve definitely noticed less when I have them vs when I don’t.
Awesome, that's great news. I did read it wouldn't be an over night solution, but glad to hear more anecdotal evidence in favor of them.
 
You definitely have more room for fish. Perhaps a diamond watchman goby or twinspot goby to keep your sand clean and white. A peaceful type of damsel as mentioned, royal grammas offer a splash of color and my all time favorite, small fish with the biggest personality and low bioload, a tailspot blenny. How about those eyelashes!
4EE68EE0-7AA1-4B28-B6CF-E23046F5A94A.jpeg
 
You definitely have more room for fish. Perhaps a diamond watchman goby or twinspot goby to keep your sand clean and white. A peaceful type of damsel as mentioned, royal grammas offer a splash of color and my all time favorite, small fish with the biggest personality and low bioload, a tailspot blenny. How about those eyelashes!
4EE68EE0-7AA1-4B28-B6CF-E23046F5A94A.jpeg
Ha! That tailspot blenny is very cute. I have a lawnmower Benny in QT currently and should move over to DT next weekend if no signs of illness present. I've read Blennys do not get along with one another, but will have to look into it more. Do you have multiple blennys in your tank, do they get along?

I find twin spot gobys fascinating to look at and really wanted to get one, but after researching discovered they tend to be lucky eaters and are likely to starve if not in a larger system.

I have previously attempted to get a diamond goby twice (maybe three times) and both jumped out of the tiniest gap while in QT. I took it as a sign and got a yellow watchman/ pistol pair. I originally wanted the diamond because my sand looked dirty and the way they constantly shift sand is fun to watch, but my sand actually has been looking quite clean lately (comparatively, I'm sure it can look cleaner).
 
I would keep it to just the one blenny - my orange spot blenny will attack anything that looks remotely like it (including a pink spot watchman goby).
 
I would keep it to just the one blenny - my orange spot blenny will attack anything that looks remotely like it (including a pink spot watchman goby).
Thanks for the input, I'll continue to look at other options. Hopefully my yellow watchman will be fine from the lawnmower blenny considering it has a cave to retreat into.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new