Coral Placement Discussion, RFR 170 upgrade AKA I bought too many frags during the JFox Sale last week

Hollywood Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help, I bought too many frags during the JFox Sale live sale last week.

The long story, please feel free to skip this part and go straight to the coral section-

I upgraded from a 20g AOI to a used RSR 170 a few weeks ago. Cycled the tank in a few days using rock and media from the old tank. Moved in live stock (2 chromis and a Royal grandma ;) hermits, trochus, Cerith) Kept the biggest rock, sand, and my ManGobby in the old tank with its massive copepod population until the 170 goes through a few copepod blooms.

The filtration setup- Carbon Reactor (won't be running for a few months, will probably drop an RO filter in it and run it that way for a while) into Filtration cup with floss, into refugium with biomedia cubes and sea lettuce (Algaebarn ultimate refugium starter) through egg crate with tulle and filter floss, into return pump section where heater and auto go. Return pump feeds through UV and back into tank. (running a brs/wwc hybrid method).

Feeding- multiple times a day Baby Brine; 2x pellets, EOD ReefRoids

DOSING - atm just Aminos EoD, 5-10% water change 2xweek, Alk and Calk from the salt mix run on the higher end, 11.5 alk, CA 480, start testing mag tomorrow when my new test arrives, stopped trusting my old kit. Once I start seeing significant uptake I'll dose kalkwisser. Microbacter7, Wasteaway, and Vibrant, in a rotation (microbacter 7 today, tomorrow waste, next day vibrant) I've done a ton of nano softie tanks (30g and less over the years and this rotation with uv means never having an ugly tank)

Lighting - 1 Radion 15w gen 3 pro, at 66% intensity increasing 1-2% daily until 100% in four weeks. Once old tank comes completely down I'll add the AI prime from it and a light bar.

Flow- return 600 mph, Nero 5 avg 1311 gph at just under 30%, pulsing most of the time, random during mid day, and 15 minutes of 75% pulsing at night to blow up deitritus into Column. Adding another small constant pump on a timer at the bottom right when other tank comes down to help keep bare bottom clean

Corals- this is where I really need advice. Never run a system this big or with this many SPS.
Frags I have-
(Plating)
Metalic red monti cap colony
Snowcap Monti
Purple Rim Monti
Green Cap Monti
UFO Scroll frag

(encrusting)
Green Spongodes
Bedazzled Cyphastrea
OutterSpace Psnommacora

(Seratosa)
Red Monti
Blue Blazin Monti

(Digi style)
Bug Out Stylo
Green Psnommacora
Blue Polyp Monti digi (I'm not really sure, a local reefer gave away a ton of stuff locally and this is part of that)

(sticks)
Birds Nest corals (Pinks, greens, purple polyps 4 different frags and colonies)
Hellraiser Milli
PC Rainbow
Green Stag

above the yellow line I'd like to do a garden of the plating montiporas and scrolls.
Above the tan line I was thinking is where the digi styles would go. On the back wall I'll glue the cyphastrea and the Spongodes. I don't have any experience and can't find much on seratosa placement. I really want to do right by the Blue Blazin Monti so I'm at lose on where to place it. I think the green BN's will go down here as well as the par ramps up.

Red Box will be the Acro and pink BN.

That's what I've come up with, what are ya'lls thoughts?

(Future fish stocking will be a harem of Carpenter Flasher Wrasses, a designer clown pair, and a Flame Hawk as soon as I can find some)

thanks in advance!!
IMG_4187.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back