Coral Placement Opinion

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys - I am new to the hobby with a 90 gallon DT and 26 gallon sump. The tank has been running for about 4 months and I am starting to play with coral placement. I have two WAV powerheads and a ReefBreeders Proton v2 LED 48" light. I have bought some easy LPS and softies, but even with my WAV's at less than 5% power it seems like

1) There is still too much flow
- The flow is about 50x per hour according to the APEX at 3% WAV power
2) There is still too much light
- I have turned the blues and white intensity down to 40% given the high amount of softies and LPS
- I do not have a PAR meter so I am guessing based on other threads and the companies recommendations

The reason I say that is my Duncan seems to be retracted a fair amount, my xenia seems to be blowing in the wind and the Echinophyilla is browning out.

Any thoughts on how I should re-configure? Perhaps I remove the Duncan and move to the bottom of the tank?

IMG_20200403_132153.JPG IMG_20200403_132201.JPG IMG_20200403_132207.JPG

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking that I should relocate the Duncan lower for sure, but I am worried about how to pry it off the rock without damaging it - Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking that I should relocate the Duncan lower for sure, but I am worried about how to pry it off the rock without damaging it - Any suggestions?
Is it glued with “crazy glue”? If so it shouldn’t be so hard to pry it off the rock by simply wiggling it from the stem.

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to pry it off and put it lower in the tank where is appears to be doing better. I also bought a Neptune PMK to better see what my PAR readings are as right now I am totally just guessing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 61 47.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back