Opinions on the Kessil a80 is it good or bad?

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a Kessil a80 for a 15 gallon tank. I have researched a ton and I believe that this is the perfect light as all I would like to do is lps and softies. what are some pros and cons of this light? Is there a better light that I can get for around the same price?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get a Kessil a80 for a 15 gallon tank. I have researched a ton and I believe that this is the perfect light as all I would like to do is lps and softies. what are some pros and cons of this light? Is there a better light that I can get for around the same price?
I used a kessil a80 for a while on some nano tanks and it did great.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had the Kessil A160WE over my IM Nuvo 15 while testing Par and it was bad. The A80 will be even weaker. The light was weak and spread was aweful. I just picked up the A360X to see how these will do over my nano

In summary, the A80 is a good beginner light but you'll quickly outgrow it.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you’ll also want a controller for timing it unless you plan to use it manually

I’ve heard a lot of good things about noopsych k7 mini. I’m currently using reef breeders nano led but the k7 mini is about half the cost and offers almost 2x the wattage. Both these options also have built in controls for timing either through app or fixture itself

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple answer! It's good- for the right thing! :) I reckon from reading the comments so far that you already have the advice you need!

Asking if a light is good or bad is like asking if a hammer is good or bad! Right tool for the right job :cool:

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine for what you are doing. Lps and softies in a 15g. I would prob go a160 to be honest but i think the 80 should be fine. A 360 would be major overkill for this size tank and what you are keeping

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back