Coral placement to avoid reef rock figurine

  • Thread starter Thread starter leeloo82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

leeloo82

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2023
Messages
49
Reaction score
7
Location
Olney
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Newbie here and just added my aquascape to my new build! See my cool custom-made mermaid figure! 🧜‍♀️ So my question is what corals can place around her that has a smaller, compact or at least predictable footprint? I don't mind if she gets overshadowed but I just don't want her to get encrusted over. I was researching beginner LPS like duncans, candy canes, sinularia and also frogspawn, branching hammers but hard to find full grown sizes (if there is one). Would a toadstool work like if it just overshadowed her but doesn't "smother" her? Am I completely off the mark? 😊 Thanks in advance!
 
e9eca4ee-146e-450d-b920-9e043623c073.jpg
472b08ed-32aa-453a-b26a-d1580f8bf418.jpg
 
Hi all! Newbie here and just added my aquascape to my new build! See my cool custom-made mermaid figure! 🧜‍♀️ So my question is what corals can place around her that has a smaller, compact or at least predictable footprint? I don't mind if she gets overshadowed but I just don't want her to get encrusted over. I was researching beginner LPS like duncans, candy canes, sinularia and also frogspawn, branching hammers but hard to find full grown sizes (if there is one). Would a toadstool work like if it just overshadowed her but doesn't "smother" her? Am I completely off the mark? 😊 Thanks in advance!
will need a picture attached for reference!

edit: picture just loaded.

In reality, most corals will get massive. the frags we get are just 1% of the sizes they can get in nature.

Unless it's really small solitary polyps like Scolys, the LPSs you mentioned can get BIG.

Sinularia is a soft coral as well as a toadstool and will get big faster and easier as well

most corals have the potential to smother her, just frag them up when they do.
 
will need a picture attached for reference!

edit: picture just loaded.

In reality, most corals will get massive. the frags we get are just 1% of the sizes they can get in nature.

Unless it's really small solitary polyps like Scolys, the LPSs you mentioned can get BIG.

Sinularia is a soft coral as well as a toadstool and will get big faster and easier as well

most corals have the potential to smother her, just frag them up when they do.
Ok, thanks! Making a note to research Scolys. Any others that are solitary? Or what would you put in there on that rock if this was your aquascape? I guess I'm intimidated by having to frag anything. Will look at more YouTube videos on how to frag.
 
Ok, thanks! Making a note to research Scolys. Any others that are solitary? Or what would you put in there on that rock if this was your aquascape? I guess I'm intimidated by having to frag anything. Will look at more YouTube videos on how to frag.
honestly, I'd just have something like cyphastrea encrust it. 🤣
 
@leeloo82 I know you don't want anything on the statue, but here is an example of a nice cyphastraea colony on a similar statue. Although it is a bit bigger and less detailed so the shape is still quite there after the encrusting.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cyphastrea.874969/
That is cool! But yeah, I think since it's small I wonder if all the details would be lost after encrusting. But neat, thanks for sharing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new