Coral prices

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100,000$ worth of tools in my 16,000$ tool box. Should I just buy craftsman because you think Snapon cost to much? No I will buy what I want because it is my money that I have worked for.
What if someone didn’t work for the money but instead received governmental assistance or maybe your ‘dead beat brother in law’ who still hasn’t paid back the money he borrowed? Would you be in the ‘it’s their money, do what they want’ boat?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if someone didn’t work for the money but instead received governmental assistance or maybe your ‘dead beat brother in law’ who still hasn’t paid back the money he borrowed? Would you be in the ‘it’s their money, do what they want’ boat?
I totally see your point and understand. I guess that is one of the many problems this country does have. And yes in that situation it’s kinda grey who’s money it is :)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the more I think about this this is the kind of person that does not belong having saltwater tank but then again who am I to say that.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally see your point and understand. I guess that is one of the many problems this country does have. And yes in that situation it’s kinda grey who’s money it is :)
Honestly..i wasnt even trying to make a point. I just miss the 'good old days' when you engaged someone in a real conversation. You listened to them, you asked questions, they responded and you get context and background of the person. Really trying to understand who someone is. On the internet..i guess the art of the conversation has fundementally changed. in the never ending pursuit of ego-affirming 'likes', people stop engaging but say things to elicit a reaction. In the end, i have seen you around and was using an opportunity to engage you and maybe understand who you are as a person. I

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly..i wasnt even trying to make a point. I just miss the 'good old days' when you engaged someone in a real conversation. You listened to them, you asked questions, they responded and you get context and background of the person. Really trying to understand who someone is. On the internet..i guess the art of the conversation has fundementally changed. in the never ending pursuit of ego-affirming 'likes', people stop engaging but say things to elicit a reaction. In the end, i have seen you around and was using an opportunity to engage you and maybe understand who you are as a person. I
The problem with this is I know at least myself I’m all over the place it’s hard to understand who I am depending on what kind of day I’ve just had ha ha. Generally I’d say I’d like to be very helpful but I do get annoyed fairly quickly. I think it has to do with the business that I’m in. A lot of dumb questions by even dumber people kind of has worn my patience thin over the past 25 years. And then for what it’s worth to make it even harder to understand who I am I happen to be out on strike right now for the past three weeks walking up and down the street Holding a picket sign in the full sun for eight hours a day sure brings your mood down. Now for what it’s worth I really only responded to this thread and I think one other because I just recently bought my first almost $2000 coral. I will give a little thought on my whole purchase from my point of view. I wanted the coral very badly I really liked it as well as it being a very popular coral I wanted to be part of the fad. When I seen the coral come up on a sale online I was was going to pay anything that they put it at because I really wanted it and I knew other people did as well. At this point I thought it be around 1,000 When the coral came up for $1800 my heart dropped I started feeling nauseous and sweating I wasn’t sure if I should do it or not I was very nervous and reluctant about it but I made the purchase anyways. After I pressed the pay button I felt even sicker for how much money I just spent on one coral previously the most I spent was 550 on a pretty large Aussie golden torch this time was a rainbow splice acro $1800 later and about two weeks I finally receive my coral and my feelings change from nauseous and feeling sick to happy and excitement. now fast forward two months later the coral still alive and doing great and has doubled in size I kind of look at it as an investment now. I take care of my tanks just as well as everyone else and I don’t look at things like they’re not gonna make it I look at it like I spend the time and effort to take care of them so they are going to thrive. If everyone looked at it the same they might not have a problem spending the money on something that they wanted and again I’m going to reiterate this is a coral I wanted and I really liked and was looking for four months prior to this. Anyway sorry for the long winded reply I just kind of wanted to put it out there and I am far from being rich I am a mechanic for 25 years working for Ford and that is it……

B0690D4D-1485-4DEC-B948-091E5723A6D9.jpeg

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this is I know at least myself I’m all over the place it’s hard to understand who I am depending on what kind of day I’ve just had ha ha. Generally I’d say I’d like to be very helpful but I do get annoyed fairly quickly. I think it has to do with the business that I’m in. A lot of dumb questions by even dumber people kind of has worn my patience thin over the past 25 years. And then for what it’s worth to make it even harder to understand who I am I happen to be out on strike right now for the past three weeks walking up and down the street Holding a picket sign in the full sun for eight hours a day sure brings your mood down. Now for what it’s worth I really only responded to this thread and I think one other because I just recently bought my first almost $2000 coral. I will give a little thought on my whole purchase from my point of you I wanted the coral very badly I really liked it as well as it being a very popular coral I wanted to be part of the fad. When I seen the coral come up on a sale online I was was going to pay anything that they put because I wanted it and I knew other people did as well. When the call came up for $1800 my heart dropped I started feeling nauseous and sweating I wasn’t sure if I should do it or not I was very nervous and reluctant about it but I made the purchase anyways. After I pressed the pay button I felt even sicker for how much money I just spent on one quarrel previously the most I spent was 550 on a pretty large Aussie golden torch this time was a rainbow splice acro $1800 later and about two weeks I finally receive my quarrel and my feelings change from nauseous and feeling sick to happy and excitement now fast forward two months later the koala still alive and doing great and has doubled in size I kind of look at it as an investment now. I take care of my tanks just as well as everyone else and I don’t look at things like they’re not gonna make it I look at it like I spend the time and effort to take care of them so they are going to thrive. If everyone looked at it the same they might not have a problem spending the money on something that they wanted again I’m going to reiterate this is a quarrel I wanted and I really liked and was looking for four months prior to this. Anyway sorry for the long winded reply I just kind of wanted to put it out there and I am far from being rich I am a mechanic for 25 years working for Ford and that is it……
Now i have a better understanding of who you are and where you come from. Thank you!! I hope your strike goes well.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F*** Our Reef Died? Sorry in advance for the crude humor.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this is I know at least myself I’m all over the place it’s hard to understand who I am depending on what kind of day I’ve just had ha ha. Generally I’d say I’d like to be very helpful but I do get annoyed fairly quickly. I think it has to do with the business that I’m in. A lot of dumb questions by even dumber people kind of has worn my patience thin over the past 25 years. And then for what it’s worth to make it even harder to understand who I am I happen to be out on strike right now for the past three weeks walking up and down the street Holding a picket sign in the full sun for eight hours a day sure brings your mood down. Now for what it’s worth I really only responded to this thread and I think one other because I just recently bought my first almost $2000 coral. I will give a little thought on my whole purchase from my point of you I wanted the coral very badly I really liked it as well as it being a very popular coral I wanted to be part of the fad. When I seen the coral come up on a sale online I was was going to pay anything that they put because I wanted it and I knew other people did as well. When the call came up for $1800 my heart dropped I started feeling nauseous and sweating I wasn’t sure if I should do it or not I was very nervous and reluctant about it but I made the purchase anyways. After I pressed the pay button I felt even sicker for how much money I just spent on one quarrel previously the most I spent was 550 on a pretty large Aussie golden torch this time was a rainbow splice acro $1800 later and about two weeks I finally receive my quarrel and my feelings change from nauseous and feeling sick to happy and excitement now fast forward two months later the koala still alive and doing great and has doubled in size I kind of look at it as an investment now. I take care of my tanks just as well as everyone else and I don’t look at things like they’re not gonna make it I look at it like I spend the time and effort to take care of them so they are going to thrive. If everyone looked at it the same they might not have a problem spending the money on something that they wanted again I’m going to reiterate this is a quarrel I wanted and I really liked and was looking for four months prior to this. Anyway sorry for the long winded reply I just kind of wanted to put it out there and I am far from being rich I am a mechanic for 25 years working for Ford and that is it……

B0690D4D-1485-4DEC-B948-091E5723A6D9.jpeg
Great story.

This reminds me a few years back before the Indo ban and hammers were affordable. The gold hammers were becoming the next thing and most everything in my tank at the time was green. My tank was doing well and a really liked the pieces I was seeing but really didn't want to spend over $80 for one. I saw one on Ebay which starting price was under $50, capped my bidding above that, it went for $80. Of course I don't know what the final bidders high range was, but I haven't seen one of those under $100 for several years and don't have LFS or local hobbyist sitting on cheap gold hammer frags.

I moved on to other things.

If I go way back in my first year of reefing (2000) I was really on the fence of putting $70 down for a grapefruit sized platygyra. It was a beautiful show piece that after a few weeks of seeing it, it went home.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. If you are willing to pay 800 for a meat coral, who are we to judge if someone wants to pay 800 for a torch? Defeats your argument.
The difference between the two, and why one coral can justify a higher price, is that ‘meat corals’ take decades to get to show size, can’t be fragged, and are generally all wild caught, whereas torches take months to grow new heads, are easily fragged, and can be and often are aqua/maricultured. The ridiculous price of torches is not based on rarity, slow growth, or low survivability, it’s 100% because they’re trendy the last few years and people (generally people newer to the hobby) buy into the name game and believe that a ‘holy grail’ torch is something truly rare.

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference between the two, and why one coral can justify a higher price, is that ‘meat corals’ take decades to get to show size, can’t be fragged, and are generally all wild caught, whereas torches take months to grow new heads, are easily fragged, and can be and often are aqua/maricultured. The ridiculous price of torches is not based on rarity, slow growth, or low survivability, it’s 100% because they’re trendy the last few years and people (generally people newer to the hobby) buy into the name game and believe that a ‘holy grail’ torch is something truly rare.
Couldn’t of said it better. Although 800 for a near coral is out if my range too but least that I can see

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back