OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering g if your not using your titration syringes corrctly, upload a pic with 1.0 ml of water in the syringe like you wereally doing a test.
I re-did the calcium test and I think I must have done it improperly the first time. I got about 490 this time. My previous test with the API was 500. Still a bit high, but not the 240 I had posted before.
437a4335834d3523af83ed65d6bc9cd4.jpg

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triton test kit should be here early next week. I was going to do a 10 gal water change this weekend and clean out my pump/filter. Should I wait until I do the test?

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them all tested by three different aquarium stores and sll said they were great. I personally don't know the numbers except for salt which is 1.024
You need to test your water yourself. If your LFS is anything like mine, all they do is use a test strip on your water. That's not going to be enough.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triton test kit should be here early next week. I was going to do a 10 gal water change this weekend and clean out my pump/filter. Should I wait until I do the test?
I don't think it would make a difference either way since you've already been doing them with no better results. I say if you hold to a schedule with your maintenance, then absolutely do it, if only to keep in the habit.

And 490 sounds a lot better on the calcium.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change today and cleaned my canister filter.(new carbon and poly filter). I then did a new water test and got better results. I did a thorough cleaning of the sand at the left side of my tank. That's the side my filter has its in and out. I had black water in my bucket after that.

Ph- 8.3
Nitrate 0 to .5
Phosphate .5
Alk- 13.2
I have another sacrificial turbo snail in. I really hope he makes it through the night. 4 hrs and good so far.
The photos are a touch darker than what I saw.
9adbfaf782470c9c0b4569baecae8a1f.jpg
b91ff465b45b6d71421db9501c488ffe.jpg
9d4870117b7927e4b44a5dd30e874b0f.jpg

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a water change today and cleaned my canister filter.(new carbon and poly filter). I then did a new water test and got better results. I did a thorough cleaning of the sand at the left side of my tank. That's the side my filter has its in and out. I had black water in my bucket after that.

Ph- 8.3
Nitrate 0 to .5
Phosphate .5
Alk- 13.2
I have another sacrificial turbo snail in. I really hope he makes it through the night. 4 hrs and good so far.
The photos are a touch darker than what I saw.
9adbfaf782470c9c0b4569baecae8a1f.jpg
b91ff465b45b6d71421db9501c488ffe.jpg
9d4870117b7927e4b44a5dd30e874b0f.jpg
The numbers look a lot better. Phosphate is still a little high, but not through the roof. Alk is high, but not as high as I would expect with ph jumping 10 points. Did you also test with your salifert kits to confirm?

Speaking of ph, how are the fish? A jump that large, even over a couple days would severely stress, or kill, most animals. Which leads me to believe one of the two tests is way off.

The black in the water could just be decomposing organics and would indicate a need for more flow directed toward that area. Did it stink?

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My triton test kit came today. It will be in the mail Monday then hopefully it will show something helpful.

On a high note, my snail is still alive today! I was worried last night as it was becoming inactive after a few hrs. It looked like it was suffocating. So I added my new air stone. Maybe just my imagination, but I wanted to rule that out. He isn't moving around much, but he is moving.
0e5a15732278b7f7a3ebb0f6536d84fd.jpg

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The numbers look a lot better. Phosphate is still a little high, but not through the roof. Alk is high, but not as high as I would expect with ph jumping 10 points. Did you also test with your salifert kits to confirm?

Speaking of ph, how are the fish? A jump that large, even over a couple days would severely stress, or kill, most animals. Which leads me to believe one of the two tests is way off.

The black in the water could just be decomposing organics and would indicate a need for more flow directed toward that area. Did it stink?
Water smelled like very strong fish tank water. Not rotten, but not good. The fish are all good and seem to like the new air stone.
I did not confirm with the salfert test. I will try that tomorrow. My API tests were similar to the LFS test that I took it to. The specialize in corals.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water smelled like very strong fish tank water. Not rotten, but not good. The fish are all good and seem to like the new air stone.
I did not confirm with the salfert test. I will try that tomorrow. My API tests were similar to the LFS test that I took it to. The specialize in corals.
I just did a pH test with the salfert kit and came up with a solid 7.7. I trust this more than the API test. I did it twice. Is there a PH up additive? If so, should I try it?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a pH test with the salfert kit and came up with a solid 7.7. I trust this more than the API test. I did it twice. Is there a PH up additive? If so, should I try it?

Baking Soda. It works wonders. I think @Humblefish did an article about dosing and what not

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baking Soda. It works wonders. I think @Humblefish did an article about dosing and what not

You can “bake” your own DIY supplement by using baking soda. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can “bake” your own DIY supplement by using baking soda. Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.
Thank you! I will try it. I have a 30 gal. tank. Are you talking like a table spoon, more,less? Just to start.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about 3/4 tablespoon. Dissolved it in a cup of tank water and then added that. My pH is now about 8.4. I hope that wasn't too much.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back