Coral problem.

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the group and am I'm looking for help with a problem that developed in my tank. Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this.
I have had my tank for about 5 years (30 gal.)and had little problem with my fish or corals until about 8 months ago. I had about 20 annnomies and a few corals, and all died in a few days including my snails and a shrimp. I believe it went a bit toxic without doing enough water changes. I then did a 50%water change and lost all my fish but one.
Since then I have done many more water changes and cleaned my substrate live rock (by rinsing in RO water) and filter also. I now have about 8 fish and all are thriving. I have had my water checked many times and everything seems to be well within parameter's.
I have tried to reintroduce a dozen corals over the last 4 months, a shrimp and snails. All are still dying in a day.
Any idea on what I should do or check?
Tina

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the group and am I'm looking for help with a problem that developed in my tank. Im not sure if this is the right place to ask this.
I have had my tank for about 5 years (30 gal.)and had little problem with my fish or corals until about 8 months ago. I had about 20 annnomies and a few corals, and all died in a few days including my snails and a shrimp. I believe it went a bit toxic without doing enough water changes. I then did a 50%water change and lost all my fish but one.
Since then I have done many more water changes and cleaned my substrate live rock (by rinsing in RO water) and filter also. I now have about 8 fish and all are thriving. I have had my water checked many times and everything seems to be well within parameter's.
I have tried to reintroduce a dozen corals over the last 4 months, a shrimp and snails. All are still dying in a day.
Any idea on what I should do or check?
Tina
Hi Tina.
Welcome to Reef2Reef. So sad to hear about your losses. Thats awful. The first thing that comes to mind is copper.
Was there an addition to the tank during that time? Live rock?

Let me introduce some friends of mine. #reefsquad

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R...you've found a great forum.

Second, sorry for your loses...it's always tough losing livestock.

Tell use more about your tank.....sump, reactors, skimmer, etc. Eight fish in a 30 gallon tank seems like a heavy load unless these are small fish. So fill use in on the fish you have and we'll see what we can do.

Again, welcome.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Could be an issue with your alkalinity for your corals. What is your alkalinity?

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very limited space as its in our kitchen cabinets. I have a canister filter, a UV unit, a small power head, an orbit marine pro LED light and last added a nano protein skimmer just before my problem. Also added a AquaEuroUSA chiller also just before my problem. This is in another room because of space problems and I have the water pumped to it. (About 20') but keeping the water between 78 & 80.
I added a tube worm and it died in a few days. Then I noticed I had a dead turbo snail and when i took it out, it was extremely rotten. Then all hell brook loos in my tank.
Have not been able to get anything to live since except my fish.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tell use more about your tank.....sump, reactors, skimmer, etc. Eight fish in a 30 gallon tank seems like a heavy load unless these are small fish. So fill use in on the fish you have and we'll see what we can do.

Again, welcome.
I do have small fish. I have a clown which is the only survivor, a firefight, a firehawk fish, a green Colaris, a sand gobey and one other cant name. It's like a small eel. And a yellow and purple guy.
1488158848131.jpeg

Again, welcome.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the corals I tried. You can see rhe distress strands coming off after a few hours.

20161210_121446.jpg

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your major parameters?
I had the water tested many times over the last 4 months by 3 different aquarium stores, and all said water was in great shape. I don't know the numbers myself, but the salt is at 1.024

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CAM00462.jpg
here is a photo of my tank before my crash. My anonomies were thriving and think I sold thirty or so in a few years.
At this time I had a huge blue velvet damsel and a Niger trigger. Aldo my clown and a firehawk.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of curious because of saltyfilmfolks comment about copper. Is all your equipment new, or was some/all of it used? You can never rid a system entirely of the stuff once it's been in there.

If the lfs is saying your water is ok, I would be highly suspect of copper use, or any other fish only medications, especially if you purchased the system used.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of curious because of saltyfilmfolks comment about copper. Is all your equipment new, or was some/all of it used? You can never rid a system entirely of the stuff once it's been in there.

If the lfs is saying your water is ok, I would be highly suspect of copper use, or any other fish only medications, especially if you purchased the system used.
Yes. All new equipment. I had some SS tubing and was told to replace that with plastic. I did, but that didn't help.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to know your water parameters. You have to buy your own test kits. Personally I don't trust on LFS.
I do have test kits and also did them myself. I didn't document the results, but I also found them in good limits.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last thing I tried was a titanium grounding probe for stray voltage. No help again.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could my crash have contaminated all my equipment to the point where I can't use it again?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 196 70.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%

Back