Coral propagation troughs - thoughts please

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,

Am looking for a coral propagation trough and is bounded by dimensions of 60 inches in length , 36-40 inches in width and minimum of 12-15 inches in height .

I have x-tray 100 gallon trough in mind :-

Has anyone used it ? Reviews of any ?

Also if you have suggestion for a fiberglass tank in the dimension as looking for please suggest !!!

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have drilled it and have a sump setup ? If possible could you share a pic of the setup ?
Not the best pic. I have a drain on both ends and the returns on the sides in the middle. On the next one, I will have both drains on the same end and the returns on the opposite end.

received_416727999003320.jpeg

Attachments

• received_2128408074129141.mp4
    10.5 MB
Last edited:

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pic. I have a drain on both ends and the returns on the sides in the middle. On the next one, I will have both drains on the same end and the returns on the opposite end.

received_416727999003320.jpeg
I know this an older post but, how did you fabricate/come up with the design of this stand that holds the resevoir? Does the resevoir need to be supported by the bottom, by the lip, or both?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fella was looking at containment pans also, these are not intended to be full of water, you will need to reinforce the sides.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this an older post but, how did you fabricate/come up with the design of this stand that holds the resevoir? Does the resevoir need to be supported by the bottom, by the lip, or both?
I have seen smaller ones only supported on the bottom. I personally didn't feel comfortable not supporting the sides. I didn't want to give the container any reason to flex. I have a 3/4" piece of plywood supporting the bottom as well. I plan on these being setup long term, and I wanted to eliminate any reason for failure in the future.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on these being setup long term, and I wanted to eliminate any reason for failure in the future.
Didnt mean to step on your toes. I have done a few green houses that use these or similar and they run 1/3 to half-way
with gravel and water.
EDIT: Just to be clear, I Build Green houses for Pet shops and aquaculture, I do not operate them :D

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt mean to step on your toes. I have done a few green houses that use these or similar and they run 1/3 to half-way
with gravel and water.
You are fine. I am sure they aren't manufactured to coral propagation lol. They do work great for it though.

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen smaller ones only supported on the bottom. I personally didn't feel comfortable not supporting the sides. I didn't want to give the container any reason to flex. I have a 3/4" piece of plywood supporting the bottom as well. I plan on these being setup long term, and I wanted to eliminate any reason for failure in the future.
Got it, thanks for your reply. So is the pressure of the tank evenly divided between the upper supports around the rim and the bottom of resevoir against the plywood? Seems like that would be a pretty sturdy setup in terms of not allowing any flexing or uneven pressure points.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back