Coral QT tank light

FollowTheBubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I would love some help choosing a suitable light fixture for a 20L coral frag quarantine tank. I don’t need anything super bright, I don’t plan to have acros or anything. I’m hoping for something inexpensive. Will mostly be LPS, zoas, softies and maybe a few of the lower light SPS for my 29 Biocube with LED retrofit.
Thanks again!

ArialReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I would love some help choosing a suitable light fixture for a 20L coral frag quarantine tank. I don’t need anything super bright, I don’t plan to have acros or anything. I’m hoping for something inexpensive. Will mostly be LPS, zoas, softies and maybe a few of the lower light SPS for my 29 Biocube with LED retrofit.
Thanks again!
Nanobox LEDs are pretty good and cheap.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Thanks again!

If it is a quarantine tank for your corals, I would suggest the same model light as your DT if possible. That way the corals are already acclimatised to the same light they will eventually be moved to. Just adjust the height accordingly. You can also monitor how the corals will react to your fixed lighting parameters. I use Ai Primes on my DT and have a Prime over my quarantine with the same lighting program copied over.

Good decision to quarantine your corals by the way. I quarantine mine for 45 days. Just remember not to put any fish in the quarantine. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

FollowTheBubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you GoVols!

I’ll check out the a80. It might be fancier than what I need but the price seems reasonable. I’m not sure if my QT tank is going to stay up and running or if I’m going to have it going for the 76 days for this batch and get it (and the fish QT) off the kitchen counter. Lol.

OP
OP
F

FollowTheBubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tony Thompson!

Everyone has been very helpful! There’s so much information here and so many knowledgeable people. I thought dipping corals was playing it safe. Now I’m really regretting all the times (including some just recently) that I’ve just dipped, inspected and tossed them in. Same with inverts except obviously not dipping.

I did a Nanobox LED retrofit on my tank last month and that didn’t go very well and led to a dark tank for 2 whole weeks so I’m really hoping for something old school with an on/off switch. Lol. The issues were in no way Nanobox’s fault and I’m sure it wouldn’t happen again but...

Maybe I can find something similar?

Also, may I ask how you chose 45 days?

Thanks again!

If it is a quarantine tank for your corals, I would suggest the same model light as your DT if possible. That way the corals are already acclimatised to the same light they will eventually be moved to. Just adjust the height accordingly. You can also monitor how the corals will react to your fixed lighting parameters. I use Ai Primes on my DT and have a Prime over my quarantine with the same lighting program copied over.

Good decision to quarantine your corals by the way. I quarantine mine for 45 days. Just remember not to put any fish in the quarantine. Good luck.

Tony Thompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Tony Thompson!

Everyone has been very helpful! There’s so much information here and so many knowledgeable people. I thought dipping corals was playing it safe. Now I’m really regretting all the times (including some just recently) that I’ve just dipped, inspected and tossed them in. Same with inverts except obviously not dipping.

I did a Nanobox LED retrofit on my tank last month and that didn’t go very well and led to a dark tank for 2 whole weeks so I’m really hoping for something old school with an on/off switch. Lol. The issues were in no way Nanobox’s fault and I’m sure it wouldn’t happen again but...

Maybe I can find something similar?

Also, may I ask how you chose 45 days?

Thanks again!

Hi @FollowTheBubbles , my decision on 45 days comes from the article on R2R , just do a search using the title.

Coral/Invert Quarantine Time Frames

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back