Coral QT Tank Ready?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20 gallon coral quarantine tank is cycled, yet it is still hazy. I'm assuming because of bacterial bloom. Can I put corals in here yet, or will the hazy water affect the amount of light they get?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pristine and very stable water conditions are best for SPS. Some softies are native to intertidal zones where water is constantly mixing sand, mud, etc. Bacterial blooms can be problematic and sometimes difficult to get rid of. Take a look at The Green [algae] Killing Machine. I use one of these in my 20 coral QT as needed: https://www.amazon.com/AA-Aquarium-...+Machine&qid=1558735657&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3
So basically corals can't be put in here until the water clears up?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I know this is going to sound a bit weird, but the first and most important thing in reefing is managing water quality. Everything else comes later: fish, corals, etc. Most of the successful reefers have become very good at getting their tank's water into a stable condition. And this takes time. It can take months to get the water stable, seasoned with a good strong and flexible bio system that can handle new additions of corals and fish as you build your reef tank. Going slowly is a good thing. There's an old saying that "nothing good happens in a reef tank quickly."
How long has your tank been setup and going?

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I know this is going to sound a bit weird, but the first and most important thing in reefing is managing water quality. Everything else comes later: fish, corals, etc. Most of the successful reefers have become very good at getting their tank's water into a stable condition. And this takes time. It can take months to get the water stable, seasoned with a good strong and flexible bio system that can handle new additions of corals and fish as you build your reef tank. Going slowly is a good thing. There's an old saying that "nothing good happens in a reef tank quickly."
My DT has been going for 4 months, my QT for 2 months.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is stable, like I said the tank is cycled. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 10 nitrates.

PrevieAriz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red and green algae in my 13 gallon. Mostly green in my 75 gallon but not that bad. The red in the small tank is crazy. What is the best algae killing machine and do they work on red algae?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water is stable, like I said the tank is cycled. 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 10 nitrates.
What about salinity, temp, phosphate, iodide levels......
You need all of them in the range with virtually no flux for somewhere in the range of 4-6 months.
If for 6-8 weeks, your weekly tests show that each parameter remains in range, then I would say go ahead.
Without this rock solid stability, corals die, some faster than others. An that’s disheartening and expensive.
Maybe some GSP, Xenia, Mushrooms a bit earlier, but for any Stoney, I wait till I see coralline begin, that’s usually a good sign of waters, ready for coral.

6D51A193-0A00-4046-8114-B18FF5D0FCDA.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red and green algae in my 13 gallon. Mostly green in my 75 gallon but not that bad. The red in the small tank is crazy. What is the best algae killing machine and do they work on red algae?

I might recommend looking for the cause first, or it just comes back.
What type of lighting?
What is nitrate and phosphate run at?
Is your tank near any outside light?
Do you skim?

Can you share a pic?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back