Coral quarantine process

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to start getting some corals for a beginner. I have NO clue on quarantine process for corals. Any good videos or reads for this process start to finish?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a 10 gallon with a hob filter, a powerhead, and a green machine I had lying around. I dipped, then did brightwell koral recover for a week (I had this so I just used it because why not), and then dipped again when I took them out. I normally scrub any skeleton (without soft tissue) or frag plug while in the dip. I often cover frag plug with epoxy if I can't remove it (I'm paranoid lol)

While they are in there, I feed some reef energy. I usually have some biomedia in the bottom that I soaked in some microbacter 7 before hand just to make sure there isn't ammonia from the feeding. I also tend to have a small bit of macro algae in there. If I need to dose I just do all for reef.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have this outlined in my build thread, but I recently changed everything so this is what I currently run on my Coral/Invert QT.

5-gallon Aqueon Tank
CaribSea Aragonite Sand
Aqueon QuietFlow 30 LED Power Filter
Aqueon 200W Preset Aquarium Heater
AquaNeat Probe Thermometer
Innovative Marine Reef Rack
Coralife Clip-On LED Fixture
Single Plug Outlet Timer for my light
Seeded rock and MarinePure Gems from my display

I dose Vibrant weekly and I dip every frag in ReVive for 15 minutes and Bayer Complete for 10 minutes.

My filter is very oversized, but I have a lot of NPS in this tank right now and my nutrients are always pretty high despite the filter.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what i do, i have a 13.5 with an ai prime 16 on it, good flow etc, the corals that i buy go in there and i fallow them after dipping for at least a month, than i transfer them to the display

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a 10 gallon with a hob filter, a powerhead, and a green machine I had lying around. I dipped, then did brightwell koral recover for a week (I had this so I just used it because why not), and then dipped again when I took them out. I normally scrub any skeleton (without soft tissue) or frag plug while in the dip. I often cover frag plug with epoxy if I can't remove it (I'm paranoid lol)

While they are in there, I feed some reef energy. I usually have some biomedia in the bottom that I soaked in some microbacter 7 before hand just to make sure there isn't ammonia from the feeding. I also tend to have a small bit of macro algae in there. If I need to dose I just do all for reef.
Thanks for the info!!

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have this outlined in my build thread, but I recently changed everything so this is what I currently run on my Coral/Invert QT.

5-gallon Aqueon Tank
CaribSea Aragonite Sand
Aqueon QuietFlow 30 LED Power Filter
Aqueon 200W Preset Aquarium Heater
AquaNeat Probe Thermometer
Innovative Marine Reef Rack
Coralife Clip-On LED Fixture
Single Plug Outlet Timer for my light
Seeded rock and MarinePure Gems from my display

I dose Vibrant weekly and I dip every frag in ReVive for 15 minutes and Bayer Complete for 10 minutes.

My filter is very oversized, but I have a lot of NPS in this tank right now and my nutrients are always pretty high despite the filter.
Thank you!! I have no idea where to start. Wasn't sure if sand and rock go in there or not. Going to get my 15 gallon Fluval started cycling for coral quarantine. Everything I have read it's pretty much a mini version of the display tank.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I have live rock and bio media in the tank as well to keep it going and a very lethal 3 stripe damsel named flow that keeps the cycle going and attends to critters

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I have no idea where to start. Wasn't sure if sand and rock go in there or not. Going to get my 15 gallon Fluval started cycling for coral quarantine. Everything I have read it's pretty much a mini version of the display tank.
You can keep a fish in there too if you’d like, but I prefer not to. Inverts can carry ich and other parasites although they don’t get it themselves as far as I know, so I wouldn’t want to take the chance of exposing a fish to a parasite brought in by a new invert. I have sand and rock in my coral/invert QT because I don’t medicate that tank; all medications are applied VIA dip and double rinse, so there’s a very small likelihood of anything getting in there and killing my inverts.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! This is something I’ve found I actually have a knack for ;)

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep a fish in there too if you’d like, but I prefer not to. Inverts can carry ich and other parasites although they don’t get it themselves as far as I know, so I wouldn’t want to take the chance of exposing a fish to a parasite brought in by a new invert. I have sand and rock in my coral/invert QT because I don’t medicate that tank; all medications are applied VIA dip and double rinse, so there’s a very small likelihood of anything getting in there and killing my inverts.

Good luck! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out! This is something I’ve found I actually have a knack for ;)
But wouldn't hitchhikers live in the sand of a QT?

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But wouldn't hitchhikers live in the sand of a QT?
Not if you dip your corals religiously before you add them.

If you’re worried about things coming in on snail shells, you can scrub them with a toothbrush before you add them as well.

That’s my line of thinking, anyway ;)

I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve enjoyed success with my method thus far :)

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you dip your corals religiously before you add them.

If you’re worried about things coming in on snail shells, you can scrub them with a toothbrush before you add them as well.

That’s my line of thinking, anyway ;)

I’m no expert by any means, but I’ve enjoyed success with my method thus far :)
Thank you for all of your help!! Going to start cycling my 13.5 fluval today with rock and a piece of raw shrimp. May go ahead and do sand also. Wish me luck!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help along the way! Started my coral QT yesterday. Posted in build thread as you suggested!
Super will check it out. You can get the badge on the left if you click on Account. Then Account Details. Towards the bottom is a section for the link to your build thread
R2R Tank Thread Link: ______

OP
OP
beginner_reefer

beginner_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of what I have set up. Let me know if any changes are needed that y'all can see. Lights on for pic only.

Attachments

• 20210606_110037.jpg
    20210606_110037.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 33

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%

Back