Coral Quarantine Tank Sizing

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right place for the question - but I figured a hammer and torch was inbound so I'd ask here: What is a better QT for corals - one 5G tank or a 10G tank?

I'd use gear I already had: heater, nano/pico circulation pump, HOB filter, and a Kessel A80 - but didn't know what tank size I should use.

I have a 2 extra 10G tanks from TTM procedures for fish I could use; but I thought I would just get a 5G tank to use instead - just so I have less water?

Should I use a 10G tank with less water (and take up a little more space)? Should I use a full 5G tank? Or should I really use a 10G tank with 10G of water to keep water stable (though I don't know how much the water would degrade since it's just the two new corals coming in)

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 10g personally just so the salinity swings are not as bad. Plus you have just two corals coming in now I’m sure there will be more in the future right?

OP
OP
L

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the 10g personally just so the salinity swings are not as bad. Plus you have just two corals coming in now I’m sure there will be more in the future right?

True - Just not sure about all at the same time. And thought if I'm in the middle of QT'ing a set and decide to buy some more - I wouldn't add it to the same tank would I? That would just start the QT time all over again? (First time actually QT'ing corals - want to make sure I do it right)

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True - Just not sure about all at the same time. And thought if I'm in the middle of QT'ing a set and decide to buy some more - I wouldn't add it to the same tank would I? That would just start the QT time all over again? (First time actually QT'ing corals - want to make sure I do it right)

According to this - https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/how-to-quarantine-coral-and-inverts.228/

"The good news here is that you don’t have to introduce the corals and inverts in batches. Each individual coral needs to be in the QT for 76 days. Adding another coral later doesn’t restart the clock for the first coral. I like to add them in small groups (mostly because they are like potato chips, how do you just buy one?) and keep a list of which corals or inverts went in the QT on what date. It helps keep track of which ones can be added to the display so I don’t accidentally add one that hasn’t been in quarantine for the full 76 days."

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back