Coral questions

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions for those that are far more experienced than me. I’ve just gotten back into the hobby after a couple decades time away. Things are different now to say the least!

My tank is a IM 10 gallon that’s 13 weeks old. These are my water parameters: Ca 430, Alk 9.0, Mag 1320, Nitrate 0.5, Phosphate 0.03, Salinity 1.026, pH 7.9, Temp 77.8
My system is very stable around these parameters. All of these frags have been in the tank 4-5 weeks.

I posted a pic for reference to the questions.

Questions;

> The lobo, it seems to be pulling away from the glass. It’s not to near the glass, it’s at least a inch away, maybe a little more. Could it be flow bouncing off the glass, or is maybe just the shape of the coral?

> The Torch on the left. It’s a red and gold torch, or it was when I got it. It’s been in the tank about 4 weeks. When I put it in I dipped it way to aggressively, it took about 7-8 to eight days to even start to open, it’s just in the last week started to open and extend a little more. But, as you can see its no longer red and gold. It’s kinda maroon and silver now. Is this temporary or did I perhaps damage it permanently when I over dipped it? It otherwise seems health.

> On the far right is what I believe to be first a Acan and then a Blasto. Should either (or both of them) be on a rock and not in the sand? Neither seems to be opening fully; could that be related to flow and/or placement?

> The Duncan in the right background is kinda retracted. I think that’s because I just cut it from the frag plug it was on and glued it to a small piece of dry rock and glued that to the rock its sitting on. But maybe it’s too much light/flow?

if anyone spots anything else I might do differently that would benefit the corals please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

9B75519F-1407-400F-9981-DBC7FBBFCA15.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting and intensity please?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 13 weeks your tank looks great and I would not touch it other than regular water changes and ensuring your parameters, temp, salinity, CA, MG, ALk, Nitrate, Phosphate, stay in the range. Seek the highest stability in those parameters possible, day in, day out, using helpers like ATO and Doser. Alk and salinity are the most vital as they affect the other parameters. it’s stability that makes them happy, happy, happy

Within reason, corals can adjust their photosynthetic process to light provided. Set it, and forget it mentality here, resist changing stuff.

Feed your corals regularly, a bit of phyto, a dash of zoo, and certainly some amino acids, but watch your nitrate and phosphate levels, your nitrate at .5 is too low, shoot for 2-10 ppm nitrate, all others look fine, just keep them there.

9E0875C9-8B40-4EA5-B559-D9960446445A.jpeg

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 13 weeks your tank looks great and I would not touch it other than regular water changes and ensuring your parameters, temp, salinity, CA, MG, ALk, Nitrate, Phosphate, stay in the range. Seek the highest stability in those parameters possible, day in, day out, using helpers like ATO and Doser. Alk and salinity are the most vital as they affect the other parameters. it’s stability that makes them happy, happy, happy

Within reason, corals can adjust their photosynthetic process to light provided. Set it, and forget it mentality here, resist changing stuff.

Feed your corals regularly, a bit of phyto, a dash of zoo, and certainly some amino acids, but watch your nitrate and phosphate levels, your nitrate at .5 is too low, shoot for 2-10 ppm nitrate, all others look fine, just keep them there.

9E0875C9-8B40-4EA5-B559-D9960446445A.jpeg
I worked with it to get the parameters I wanted set before I put corals in. Other than the pH being below where I’d like it, it been pretty stable for a few weeks.
I monitor salinity, pH and Temp daily. I test Alk and calc twice a week. Test everything (except ammonia and nitrite) once every week. I dose ESV 2 part daily and Dr. Tim’s waste away 5ml every three days. I’m running a Tunze ATO and a Ink Bird temp controller.

My hands only go on the tank once a week on Thursday’s when I do a 2 gallon water change.

I‘be been over feeding the two clown fish a little for the last two weeks and I e gone from changing the filter sock every two days to every 4 days trying to bump the Nitrate up a bit, without causing it to take off to much.

I’m considering turning the skimmer off during the day and only skimming at night to see if that helps. The thing is is off for 24 hours after I dose Waste Away and that seems to be when the pH drops.

Here‘s graphs of the water parameter. I think fairly stable; your thoughts ?

49F90AF0-B509-4D91-B17A-64F70EC4FA70.png

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime 16HD

C21BEBF1-F85C-4347-B7E0-096DC84607A7.png

Personally on my AI Prime HDs, I run the BRS specs. Much higher than that. They are probably starved for light. I run 30 cool white, but they say 20. I like it a bit whiter. How high is your light over your tank? I would try slowly bringing the light up, like 5 a day and see what happens.

Screenshot_20200301-112754_myAI.jpg

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally on my AI Prime HDs, I run the BRS specs. Much higher than that. They are probably starved for light. I run 30 cool white, but they say 20. I like it a bit whiter. How high is your light over your tank? I would try slowly bringing the light up, like 5 a day and see what happens.

Screenshot_20200301-112754_myAI.jpg

The light is 9 inches off the water. It’s 11.5 inches off the bottom of the tank. How big is your tank?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back