Coral recommendations for my tall Aquascape

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some suggestions for LPS or soft corals that will encrust or grow out from the tall structure in my aquascape. I would love to have ones that are a gorgeous color and easy to maintain. On the top are a purple montipora (not glued yet), candy cane (glued) and acan (not glued yet). There are two oyster shells on top that are removable. I appreciate all ideas!

1630097477188.png

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mushrooms, zoas, duncan, hammer, and bubble coral that do well near the top of my tank but I dont run very powerful lights (165w viparspectras running at 50% or less on blue and only 10% white during a 4 hour "peak").

If I turn my lights up the zoas near the top dont seem to like it as much, but the others have never had an issue. The zoas still open and grow, they just dont open as much or grow as quickly.

My tank is 27" tall and even with my lights turned down, zoas, torch and frogspawn grow down low, and kenya tree is spreading like crazy.

My experience is that many LPS and softies can handle a wide variation in lighting intensity, just a matter of acclimation to it.

Edit: forgot to mention Acan and Galaxea. you have an Acan already but I think the Galaxea are very under-rated as far as lps corals go.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back