• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Coral/rock/shell collection price

Caes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
This might be an odd question, but my dad has a big box of coral/rocks/shells he has stored in the garage for ages

i was wondering if you guys can give me a rough estimate of how much this stuff costs so that I can sell it as we will never have a big enough house to have a large aquarium anymore. He says all this stuff is real. No artificial stuff except for the plastic and decorations.

any help would be appreciated thanks guys!

BD7469E0-6EBB-4CDE-A8CE-EBFB3562360D.jpeg A56B6780-0765-4C27-8ADF-B4223FE5A2FF.jpeg 3927C218-1DD3-4016-A0D4-9E8E75A196A1.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in SW Florida where some of that comes from. Shells are worth very little. Big ones with a lot of color may be worth a few bucks. We have them all over the yard and the nicer and rarer ones in the house. The coral heads are worth a bit more. Maybe $10 to $25 depending on size and condition. It's illegal to collect even dead coral here in Florida. The rocks look more like rocks that would be used in a freshwater tank and are not good in saltwater. But even really good saltwater rock that is dry is only worth about $3 to $5 a pound. I'd guess freshwater rock is worth less as it's way easier to find.

Good luck and I hope that helps?

OP
OP
C

Caes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in SW Florida where some of that comes from. Shells are worth very little. Big ones with a lot of color may be worth a few bucks. We have them all over the yard and the nicer and rarer ones in the house. The coral heads are worth a bit more. Maybe $10 to $25 depending on size and condition. It's illegal to collect even dead coral here in Florida. The rocks look more like rocks that would be used in a freshwater tank and are not good in saltwater. But even really good saltwater rock that is dry is only worth about $3 to $5 a pound. I'd guess freshwater rock is worth less as it's way easier to find.

Good luck and I hope that helps?
thanks for the help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back