Coral Separation….How much?

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much room do you leave for growth between acros specifically but all coral in general? Right now I leave about 6” but I want a fuller tank and I am impatient. Just bought a dozen more acros on the fraghouse corals live sale so I’ll be closing that distance a bit. Additionally, what’s your experience with acros growing into each other or other types of sps like Montipora. I messed up years ago and put a encrusting Rainbow Monti directly on a rock now I’m worried how that will react when it reaches the base of my acro colonies.

5F0233EF-55D9-41CA-8443-0291FF97DE6A.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Really depends on the type of corals. Some are more agressive than others. Some have sweeper tentacles longer than others. Acros have short polpys while LPS like torches have 6+ inches of sweeper tentacles that can sting and kill neighbors.

I generally space them out about 6-8 inches or more for waring parties. And close together if friendlys .

Reefer6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much room do you leave for growth between acros specifically but all coral in general? Right now I leave about 6” but I want a fuller tank and I am impatient. Just bought a dozen more acros on the fraghouse corals live sale so I’ll be closing that distance a bit. Additionally, what’s your experience with acros growing into each other or other types of sps like Montipora. I messed up years ago and put a encrusting Rainbow Monti directly on a rock now I’m worried how that will react when it reaches the base of my acro colonies.

5F0233EF-55D9-41CA-8443-0291FF97DE6A.jpeg
Yeah I didnt plan well. Now im constantly watching for fights.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what type of tank you want......fewer big full colonies or smaller mini colonies. You can frag and trim to keep things separate but that won't allow a ton of room for large colonies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back