Coral Stocking options/opinions

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So we have yet another stocking question. Here is what I’m looking for color wise:

Bright Oranges
Bright Blues
Bright Yellows
Bright Reds/Pinks

Must haves:

Must show color under white light. I run 10k Halides and so the color must look good under white light, not just blue/actinic

Preferred Haves:

Branching

No Preference Info:

Can be LPS, Easier SPS or Softies

Current coral list:

Toadstool, GSP, Various Branching Hammers, Common Torches, Galaxea, Jedi Mind Trick Monti, ORA Green Digi (browned out). Brown rhondactis mushrooms, Nuclear Shock/Earl Bounce Mushrooms, Solar Eclipse Bounce Mushrooms, Kenya Tree, Xenia, Duncan, Tiger Stripe Acan, JF Jacko Lepto (nice color but small and slow grower), Green Trachy, Blueish Button Coral

As you can see, my tank is mostly bland colors or green, so I’m looking to add some bright colors that look good under white light. Any reccomendations? Most of what I look at online shows under deep blue lighting that is not representative of what it may look like in my tank

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find all of these colors but get ready to pay big bucks. Also might have to manually feed some of the corals. I was researching one for low light levels and spot feeding just is too much time with my hands in the tank using tools. No I broadcast feed and let nature take its course.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m willing to pay (within reason), it’s just finding them. Like I said, I can find all of them under blue light but I know that’s not necessarily what they look like under whites

Llyod276

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gogonian and this is the only I have which doesnt flouresce under actinic, deep blood red with yellow polyps. But not photosynthetic. Tubastreae the sun coral. Again non photosynthetic.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be what you want but some of those colors you desire are pretty readily available and not going to cost a fortune.

Moderately priced acans can get you bright reds and oranges pretty easily.

Forest fire and bubbleg digis can get you bright reds.

Common monti caps can get you reds and even shade of orange. Several varieties of encrusting montis eith a good orange also.

In my experience the blues and yellows are where it gets hard to find and/or expensive...especially under a 10k light.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely prefer photosynthetic corals
I love acans, just not branching, though still a thought.
I can do digis, I think it’d be cool to grow a few super close together and have them entangle with one another (if they didn’t fight it out).

Yea the blues, the only thing I can think of is the Oregon Tort

Yellows I’m clueless. The only bright yellow I’ve seen is zoas. An LFS here has a bright yellow nepthea but under my lights it’s just a green nepthea

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sympodium is a lovely blue-green. Colonies are pricey, but well woth it, in my opinion.

Some of the encrusting corals have wild colours. I'm a big fan of cyphastrea and stylocoeniella.

If you have the room (and the budget), consider a cynarina. I've seen some lovely red and multicoloured ones.

Last edited:
Back