Coral Suggestions?

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of planning a Fluval Evo 13.5 and looking for some coral suggestions! I'm looking for soft corals that are easy to take care of and are fairly quick growers, but not so quick that they're weeds. I know some people that have xenias in their tank and have been trying to get rid of it for a couple years and I don't feel like dealing with that haha. Thanks in advance :)

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of planning a Fluval Evo 13.5 and looking for some coral suggestions! I'm looking for soft corals that are easy to take care of and are fairly quick growers, but not so quick that they're weeds. I know some people that have xenias in their tank and have been trying to get rid of it for a couple years and I don't feel like dealing with that haha. Thanks in advance :)
I will always recommend zoas!

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trumpet/candy cane coral... The zoa's grew too fast for my liking. Now I can't get rid of them I have about 500 heads of fire and ice. Trumpet isn't a soft coral but it is quite fleshy and a pretty fun one to keep. It has a nice feeding response too. Cheap to buy. And bright nuclear green if you find a good one.

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gallon will fill up quickly so If where you I will get slow grower corals. Some of your choices could be a deep water Japanese toadstool or the pink nepthea. They are not cheap but they are excellent choices for small setup like yours. I hope this helps.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a Japan pink nephthea

Screenshot_2018-11-15-14-32-41.png

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trumpet/candy cane coral... The zoa's grew too fast for my liking. Now I can't get rid of them I have about 500 heads of fire and ice. Trumpet isn't a soft coral but it is quite fleshy and a pretty fun one to keep. It has a nice feeding response too. Cheap to buy. And bright nuclear green if you find a good one.
That's beautiful and totally added to the list! What do you think about cespitularia? I read a few things about it but haven't seen anything about growth rate

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks beautiful, but also in the Xenia family. If it we're me I would want it on its own island, and in a 13 gallon tank that would be difficult. If you could mount it close to the back wall and let it grow on the back that may be cool. I have some regular pulsing Xenia that is attached to a rock I keep in the corner and to the back glass. I also have a tuxedo urchin that carries a 2 inch piece around. That size tank is, unfortunately, too small for an urchin though and I don't think we get to pick what urchins carry.

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks beautiful, but also in the Xenia family. If it we're me I would want it on its own island, and in a 13 gallon tank that would be difficult. If you could mount it close to the back wall and let it grow on the back that may be cool. I have some regular pulsing Xenia that is attached to a rock I keep in the corner and to the back glass. I also have a tuxedo urchin that carries a 2 inch piece around. That size tank is, unfortunately, too small for an urchin though and I don't think we get to pick what urchins carry.
Thank you for all the advice and I'm sorry but I have to ask 1 more question haha
Would a toadstool get too big?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are very resilient and easy to trim. Any coral is capable of eventually needing trimming all about how quickly it takes to get there and how often willing to weed.

OP
OP
Crested

Crested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to think of nanos and picos like bonsai. You will need to trim corals quite a lot when it's running well, but that is part of the fun. Hmmm, remove a branch here, or there...
Yeah I don't mind frequent trimming I just don't want something like Kenya tree corals where I'll find little pieces in the tank for years after I take the main piece out lol

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a softie tank keep a set of sharp stainless steel shears, Not serrated just for trimming. When done wash and dry. Will last the life of the tank this way. Razor blades are also good for this.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't mind frequent trimming I just don't want something like Kenya tree corals where I'll find little pieces in the tank for years after I take the main piece out lol
Oh yes, I I understand that. I don't know how the ocean isn't filled with Kenya trees!

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8647460fc433c101a3fd9c282192cc1f.jpg

Another option this is a corky finger. Not a super grower like a kenya tree or xenia but similar look, started as a .75 inch stick this is after 2 years.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8647460fc433c101a3fd9c282192cc1f.jpg

Another option this is a corky finger. Not a super grower like a kenya tree or xenia but similar look, started as a .75 inch stick this is after 2 years.
Nice! I never saw one of those!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back